Purolator failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe y'all can help me figure out if this is good or bad
Attached are pics of Purolator filter after just under 11k miles from my 2010 Caynne V6.
Car currently has 68k miles on it
Filter can out looking very compromised and distorted.
Car is from the northeast, lots of cold starts and short trips. Used Mobil 1 10w30 for about 1.5 years

Filter looks put through the wringer.

Start by using an appropriate oil. Mobil 10W-30 doesn't meet the specs for your vehicle and you've likely been beating it into Oblivion with your extended drains and usage pattern.

You need a Porsche A40-approved oil; ACEA A3/B4 at a minimum. Only use Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filters.

I would also look into replacing your filter bypass valve.

crazy2.gif
Did you run over it before you took the pictures?

RooflessVW is exactly right about this... Don't go cheap on oil and oil filter for that make and model vehicle. Get the right oil and oil filter for it.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Care to elaborate why not good?
I'd like some additional details about what went wrong here

The way the filter looks to be 'crushed' inwards seems like an indication the media lost its rigidity or there was a pressure issue and the filter couldn't go into bypass mode. Just my novice guess though as there are some experts here who can read the condition better.

I know the cardboard/fiber end caps are not a problem, but I'd personally feel more comfortable with a 10K OCI if my filter had metal end caps.

*Edit - I guess this is a cartridge filter so the metal end caps aren't applicable -- disregard that point.

Yep, looks like too much delta-p going on. The cold weather start-ups with thicker than specified oil doesn't help. Internal bypass valve might not be working correctly either.

Let me see if I have all the details straight:

1. You drive a 2010 Porsche Caynne
2. You were using a Purolator oil filter that appears to be catastrophically deformed
3. You normally run an OCI of 11,000 miles
4. Drained oil appears to completely black or near black

Is that correct?

I won't run a Pure 1 any longer than 4K miles while using Mobil 1 or other quality synthetic. Lots of cold starts and cold trips sounds like you should be on 6 month oil change regimen....5K-8K miles. Oil is cheap compared to your engine...at least if you do the OC's yourself (figure $20-$30 for synthetic oil and synthetic media filter).

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Filter looks put through the wringer.

Start by using an appropriate oil. Mobil 10W-30 doesn't meet the specs for your vehicle and you've likely been beating it into Oblivion with your extended drains and usage pattern.

You need a Porsche A40-approved oil; ACEA A3/B4 at a minimum. Only use Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filters.

I would also look into replacing your filter bypass valve.

Yeah last time I did one of those I used EDGE 0w40 and MANN filter

Originally Posted By: bbhero
RooflessVW is exactly right about this... Don't go cheap on oil and oil filter for that make and model vehicle. Get the right oil and oil filter for it.

AMEN COLONEL!

There is way too little information about this situation, and the information known points towards questionable regimen.

I'd shorten the OCI and use a more appropriate winter oil, something other than a 10W30 that meets the mfg specs for your vehicle. I would also stay clear of Purolator filters, their track record over the past few years has not been great.

As said, you're using the wrong oil.

Also, you did not mention the filter's part number. I believe some of their cartridge filters for example are made by Mann in Germany and labeled as Purolator. Theoretically, you can't get any better than that. Short trip or not, it shouldn't look like this.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I won't run a Pure 1 any longer than 4K miles while using Mobil 1 or other quality synthetic. Lots of cold starts and cold trips sounds like you should be on 6 month oil change regimen....5K-8K miles. Oil is cheap compared to your engine...at least if you do the OC's yourself (figure $20-$30 for synthetic oil and synthetic media filter).

By comparison this is an M1 (212) after two 5K OCI (10k net) using M1 5w40 on a 3.5 ecoboost (not kind to oil either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back