Rav4 10k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is the RAV4 in my signature. Will be used for my wife to take to work about 10 miles each way 5 days a week and also to take kids back and forth to school which is under a mile each way. Could be used very occasionally to pull my little aluminum fishing boat but would be pretty infrequently and only about a 10 mile trip. Once a year will be used for vacation trip of probably a couple thousand miles. Toyota recommends 0w20 at 10,000 mile OCI for normal service and 5,000 miles for severe service. Picked up OEM filters and Mobil 1 AFE for it. Do you guys think my driving conditions are good to follow the normal schedule or should I follow the severe schedule because of the short trips?

A 10k OCI with M1 AFE will be fine for your driving conditions
smile.gif

A family member has a Toyota that specs 0W20 with the stupid under-style messy oil cartridge filter design. It runs 10k OCI with no issues. First 50K miles were on whatever Toyota dealership was using, and then we switched to QSUD and now we're trying Milesyn SXR.

The oil filter is a weird design for sure. Seems like they have over complicated what should be a very simple item. Maybe there is some rhyme or reason behind it.

Maybe i'm just too conservative, but i think of 10k oci's as under perfect conditions. Mostly highway runs, little short trips, most runs end up fully warmed up.

I'm not sure whether a 10mile run gets the oil to full operating temperature. I'd go 7500 and do an oil analysis and see if its going to go further.

Last edited:
10k will be the longest I’ve ever gone but after the time spent on this site I feel more comfortable with it. I think 10,000 miles only sounds like a long time if you are comparing it to 3,000-5,000. My other vehicle recommends 7500 miles so in comparison I suppose 10k isn’t much of a leap from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back