Bluetooth mice - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'd like to use a Bluetooth mouse with my Dell Latitude 5285 (like a Surface) so I don't have a dongle sticking out the side. Do these things stay paired or am I going to be frustrated when I need to keep pairing it and fighting to get the thing to connect? Running W10. Looking for something compact to travel with.

I've been using one on my laptop for three years now. Its a Logitech and it works great. Takes two AA batteries you have to replace about once a year. Oh I'm on Windows 10 as well.

Last edited:
I think it's worth it. At work I have two mice, a wired one and a BT one, and not having a wire is good for two reasons: no extra drag, and less things moving around my desk. [I kept the wired one and try to alternate hands from time to time.] I have a laptop for work, and a laptop at home, and both use BT mice. I wouldn't go back for anything.

I really want to get BT headphones as I'm getting tired of the wire getting wrapped around my chair.

I've got 3 Logitech M310's we use, just the right size to fill your hand and the single AA battery lasts 6+ months. There's no pairing involved with the set up, just plug in the micro adapter and your ready for use. Never had one not stay paired. You can pick them up for $12-$15.

Get a Logitech etc. not some no-name brand. Bluetooth uses more battery power than a simple wireless mouse, you are looking at more frequent battery replacement or using rechargeable batteries.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
I've got 3 Logitech M310's we use, just the right size to fill your hand and the single AA battery lasts 6+ months. There's no pairing involved with the set up, just plug in the micro adapter and your ready for use. Never had one not stay paired. You can pick them up for $12-$15.

That's what I have. I was worried about reliability before buying it but it works perfectly. I endorse it.

I almost always use a USB mouse with my laptop computers. I have a logitech M310 which I am very happy with. The battery lasts a very long time, I use one with my tower and it gets a tremendous amount of use.

Even for gaming I don't prefer my wired mouse. It inevitably gets snagged on something, and latency is only an issue if you're online gaming, which I never do with my PC. For everyday tasks, you will never, ever be able to tell the difference.

Your laptop has bluetooth - use it to pair with your mouse (no dongle).

Most dongles (take a look at Logitechs universal dongle) are tiny nowadays. The days of having a giant USB thumb drive-sized dongle just for your mouse are over.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Even for gaming I don't prefer my wired mouse. It inevitably gets snagged on something, and latency is only an issue if you're online gaming, which I never do with my PC. For everyday tasks, you will never, ever be able to tell the difference.

Most dongles (take a look at Logitechs universal dongle) are tiny nowadays. The days of having a giant USB thumb drive-sized dongle just for your mouse are over.

Yup, todays dongles are tiny, about the size of your pinky fingernail.

I have also found BT mice go through batteries faster than the regular wireless mice.
It has been years since I had a corded mouse as a regular mouse at home. I have a few around for emergencies, but not used unless absolutely necessary. Cords get in the way and stuff needs to be moved around, plus when I occasionally switch hands and a wired is a pain to do with that.
At work we have wired and it annoys me.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Yup, todays dongles are tiny, about the size of your pinky fingernail.

I have also found BT mice go through batteries faster than the regular wireless mice.
It has been years since I had a corded mouse as a regular mouse at home. I have a few around for emergencies, but not used unless absolutely necessary. Cords get in the way and stuff needs to be moved around, plus when I occasionally switch hands and a wired is a pain to do with that.
At work we have wired and it annoys me.

Right, I typically use the dongles. Bluetooth isn't as "specialized" a mode as the dongle
that's built for the mouse. When I use a wireless mouse for my laptop, I can leave the dongle installed and not even notice, it's that unobtrusive.

I don't mind the wired mouse at work, but I for sure would prefer a wireless. Unfortunately, we can't plug any aftermarket devices into USB ports, so we'er stuck with the provided, wired mouse...

I haven't used a wired mouse in 10 years, I've been using the Logitech ones with the little wireless USB dongle and they've been great. This new PC is more of a tablet and even the little dongle would be intrusive, so I'm looking at a Bluetooth mouse that won't require the dongle.

laptop-latitude-12-5285-2-in-1-pol-mag-pdp_mod_02.jpg

I strongly recommend logitech. I have a bunch of m310's. They dont last more than 3 months for me though..i swap the battery every 3 months, granted I use mine for work 40 hrs a week. Still very reliable, id go for a higher end ergo one though. I have 3 different logitech mice, prefer the higher end ones. Picked one up at Target last week for 13$..it has 2 batteries instead of one, guessing it will give me a year of battery life. Still great quality, my oldest one is 7 years old and still works. Way better than wired.

Using my logitech mouse now.

Just picked up two more today and tossing the house branded best buy ones....junk...

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Mine’s an HP. They keep paired now a days. Once you try it, you’ll never go back.

Same here and I agree.

Got the Logitech M720, so far it's great! Added bonus, I can connect it to multiple machines at the same time and just push a button on the side of the mouse to select which device I want to control. I sometimes travel with a work and personal device and use both at the same time so this will come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back