Prefered border crossing MI/ON and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so in a couple months I'll be driving my mom up to one of her old HS friend's place In Guelph, Ontario. they will then go on a "cross country" trip over to the Tiny Town of Denmark,Maine for a mini reunion/"girls" trip(I put girls in quotes because they are in their 70's, class of '64)Picking up another gal in Montreal(who will be getting off a river cruise down the St.Lawrence.)along the way.

then about 10 days later i go back to Guelph and pick her up.

none of that is really important to the question at hand, but...
so, between, the Ambassador Bridge, the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, or the Blue Water Bridge between Port Huron and Sarnia, what's your fav. and why?

the I've Been Across the Ambassador both times I've Been to Canad
a, but that was well over 20 years ago. Before I was driving.

I've asked Family, They seem to prefer the Port Huron/Sarnia Crossing.
The lady whose house we are going to said to take the ambassador, not the Tunnel.
I've always wanted to take the tunnel. why? Why not? I live in Flatland Ohio, not a lot of Tunnel travel opportunities around here...

They all seem to have a toll in the vicinity of $5US

I know the ambassador makes probably the most sense since the majority of our time driving in Canada will be on the 401, but... Adventure! ya know?

what sayeth the Bitog Collective?

I recommend the Ambassador bridge. It'll take you straight to the 401, which will take you to Guelph. The tunnel is more for going to downtown Windsor. The Sarnia crossing makes more sense for folk that live in the northern suburbs of Detroit.

On the other hand, if your heart and adventure wants to take the tunnel, go ahead and mix it up.

I say Port Huron/Sarnia. A little more driving in Michigan, but less driving in Ontario.

Make sure to gas up before getting fleeced by gas prices in Canada.

Plus once you are past the border you are directly on HWY 402 with no Traffic lights. In Windsor you'll hit a few lights and more trucks before you get onto hwy 401.

Last edited:
I drove semi-truck into Canada every week to pick up stainless steel.

The brokerage (inward manifest) was always easier to process going through Sarnia, but if you are just driving a car - I don't see how there's any advantage to any one over another?

Originally Posted By: JC1

Make sure to gas up before getting fleeced by gas prices in Canada.

YES!! and bring lots of snacks!!

A Whopper, Coke & fries in the USA is like $4 USD...... It's like $12 in Canada!!

I ate a lot of "Ramen noodle in the Styrofoam cup" when I drove in and out of there.

from ohio take the detroit windsor crossing.Most of the lights are gone from huron line rd ,you are on the 401 pretty quick.
Also the duty free is better at the ambassador bridge, duty free gas at the same plaza- last chance for cheap fuel.
That is where I always fill up with diesel.

When I looked at the ambassador bridge website today, their listed "duty free" gas price, is 12 cents higher than the regular price here today....

Port Huron always has faster customs lines. Unless you are stopping to see the "Windsor Ballet" make the drive north.

As others have mentioned, fuel up and eat in Port Huron before crossing.

Last edited:
If you cross in Detroit, I've been advised to use the bridge, otherwise you go through seedy parts of Detroit using the tunnels.

Make sure you carry your insurance card from your agent to prove you are covered in Canada.

Also, don't forget to carry your Passport Card (or Book). I prefer the card.

Take some Canadian money with you. I always take a minimum of $100-120 CDN, even if I'm staying for only a few hours. Contrary to what many Americans think, Canadians don't take US Green. BTW, love their new plastic money.

Yes, the 401 is FAST, so keep your eyes out for the OPP.

Check the online site for the Detroit/Windsor tunnel information. They are doing construction and have it shut down at certain times. We will be heading up to Windsor from Cleveland in a few days and always take the tunnel. Less traffic and NO trucks which really can cause a big back up on the bridge.

I've already checked the day and time we will be going through the tunnel and it will be fully opened when we anticipate going through it.

Detroit Windsor Tunnel Construction

definitely blue water, less traffic at least when i regularly drove between toronto-detroit during 2005-2008, 2011-12. watch out for speed trap near sarnia.

Ironically, I met a guy recently who’s from that area of MI. He used to cross over every weekend. He said he always went to Sarnia, not Windsor. I also have friends on the Canadian side. They live near Sudbury.

Last edited:
I always cross at Sarnia because it is closer to my home. I've only crossed the Ambassador bridge twice, and didn't like the volume of traffic either time. The Blue Water Bridge is very convenient to the 402, on which the traffic is sparse. The speed and density of traffic on the 401 from Windsor to Toronto is legendary, and they have some spectacular crashes. In the winter especially, WATCH OUT.

Of course, if you're really into adventure, go up to Sault St. Marie and cross there. It only adds about 600 miles to the trip...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I always cross at Sarnia because it is closer to my home. I've only crossed the Ambassador bridge twice, and didn't like the volume of traffic either time. The Blue Water Bridge is very convenient to the 402, on which the traffic is sparse. The speed and density of traffic on the 401 from Windsor to Toronto is legendary, and they have some spectacular crashes. In the winter especially, WATCH OUT.

Of course, if you're really into adventure, go up to Sault St. Marie and cross there. It only adds about 600 miles to the trip...

yeah, the WORST WRECK I've EVER SEEN, was on the 401 back in... oh...the Summer of 95(?)

we were on our way back from Rice Lake, I want to say we were west of Toronto, but who knows 20+ years ago, and i was in the back seat with my headphones on reading a book... it was 8 lanes in each direction. We're doing 90MPH(144/145KPH), in our Ford Aerostar, Towing dad's boat. Cars passing us like we're standing still. when suddenly this Taurus is Sliding down the roadway, right at the front of our car sideways(like they got clipped/turned) at the last second, it shot out and around us to the right, in a arc that brought it back behind us within a few feet of our boat, then tumbled end over end like a log rolling down a hill...

Don't need to see anything like that this trip.

and it's not until early may, so hopefully the winter is over by then...

I think, by a good stretch, the fastest way will be I-75 to either the bridge in Detroit, which will get you onto the 401 pretty easily, which will take you to Guelph's doorstep.

Taking I-75 and I-94 up to Port Huron will take a while longer, I think; but the crossing will be easier and faster and the scenery might be less uninteresting.
smile.gif

have fun with the contractors that the owner of the ambassador bridge hires for border patrol.. That's right they are sub-contractors hired by border patrol, but they're not direct employees! They will have "power plays" over you trying to show you how they're more in control than you are!

When you go through the tunnel, those border agents are true US Gov't employees! And even though they're smiling and being nice to you.. They're still evaluating if you're telling the truth. That's fine, but hey be nice about it! not some fake macho power trip.

The Canadian side, are gov't employees, so they're the same between the bridge and tunnel. Just the US side had the jerks on the bridge.

Plus, do you enjoy being that high up and looking through parts of the road deck that are missing? Looking straight down to the Detroit river. mmmm yes, how re-assuring is that!?

The Ambassador bridge is privately owned and looks like the maintenance is sad.

True the tunnel DOES dump you off into downtown windsor but it's a much more enjoyable trip. I think right now they're refurbishing it.. I'd say the Blue water bridge would also be a good alternative! Thought i'd give you my take..

Last edited:
I've been over all of them at one time or another, mostly the bridge but the last time was over 20 years ago. Was surprised at the 3rd degree I got, including opening the trunk. My goodness, it was just a day trip.

I will mix it up and say take the ferry in Marine City. I like the little boat ride and generally no lines and relaxed customs on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back