Shorter OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with my cancer treatment the cold is a significant issue for me for several reasons I won't get into. My Nissan Pathfinder 2012 V6 lives outside and it gets cold here in Western Mass so I use my remote start to warm up the truck for between 5-15 minutes depending on how cold it is outside. This is not something I prefer to do but I have to so my question is how much should I shorten my OCI with all the idle time? I normally change it between 5,500-7,000 miles running synthetic like QSUD, Valvoline Synpower, Castrol GTX Magnatec etc.

I'd say you are just fine staying with what you are doing. The fleets of taxi cabs, buses and police cars all run long intervals with no problems despite seeing a lot of idling time.

Having said that... Just take care of yourself the best you can. Take everything one day at a time. I hope and pray that you can overcome all of this. One day at a time, one step at a time through this journey.

Does the 5~7K net you two changes a year? Or are you really on one change a year?

That's what I'd do. One nice easy change in the fall so a 0W would be fresh for the cold and not sweat anything else. You have enough on your plate w/o worrying this little insignificant detail...

Thank you all ! .. It looks like I will be driving to Boston to Dana-Faber cancer center (about 3 hrs from me) twice a week from now on. Last week I was approved for a new cancer trial they are picking 100 people for this trial so we will see how it goes. I don't mind driving to Boston I went to school there and I love that city!

I was doing two oil changes a year 10w30 from April-October and 5w30 from Oct/Nov-April about 14/15,000 per year. Now with going to Boston every 2 weeks looks like that millage will most definitely go up.

You'll be fine with that OCI, I'm sure. As for the warming up, not a big deal - the vehicle is there to serve you. When my mom had cancer, there was plenty of idling to get that vehicle up to an appropriate temperature for her in the winter. Given that I'm a big baby about the cold, I wasn't complaining about warming it up, either. Take care of yourself!

Take care of yourself and feel free to vent here, if you need to. This place is for more than just oil, brother!

What is your driving pattern? I'm sorry if I missed it, but all I've read is your warm-up idle patterns. What you do after idling matters more to me. A three-block drive will be much harsher than a 20-mile drive.

I think your OCI is already reasonable. Sorry to hear about your cancer. Hope ur treatments go well.
smile.gif

I idle my car alot with a 1 year old, im about his comfort. Car is there to serve our comfort. Good oil and regular changes, I wouldnt worry about it. Focus on you.

Last edited:
With that much highway time you'll burn off any fuel/moisture they may get in the sump. Like others have said here your vehicle is here to serve you.

Good luck and stay positive.

Best wishes for you beating it!!

To me, 3 hours each way, twice a week more than balances out the idle time.

Plus, the mostly highway miles makes you a good candidate for an extended drain oil - your 3 hour trip to Boston, estimated at 180 miles each way makes it 9360 miles every 6 months...

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
It's fine. No worries. It would be a different story if it was a GDI engine.

True in a lot of cases. Just be careful what you say about GDI engines........
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

wink.gif

I have one and I like it, a lot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

wink.gif

I have one and I like it, a lot.

Good, knocking them around here can get you trouble sometimes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back