Black Oil Sunflower Seed for Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tired of buying black oil sunflower seed that is full of sticks and dust. Have any of you found a really clean seed? Do any of you really care, LOL?

Well, it's important to me and my 87 year old Mom.

Can you toss the seed up in front of a fan to blow away the chaff? Sorta like they did in the Bible, but with electricity

I buy my seed at Family Farm and home. Great prices and the birds love it. However I use a regular seed mix along with a separate thisle/finch feeder and suet.

I get mine at Rural King or a local mom and pop feed store.. I average feeding about 150lbs a year.. sure there are a few sticks (sunflower branches)..and dust but at 33 cents a pound i cant really complain.

My birds probably use whatever sticks are in the feed to make nests so its all good for me.

The one problem we have is the junk clogs up our feeders. I do know of a brand that is really clean but it costs $1/lb. yikes
shocked.gif

Last edited:
And I’ll find some really clean seed and then they must change bins or something and it gets all trashy. Maybe this just how it is....

The sunflower seeds I purchase from Bomgaars and Menards have very little residual junk. Just opened a new bag from Menards and have only seen one small twig. There is always going to some junk in bagged seed.

Do a search for Lizzie Mae's bird seed, and contact them through their website. I would post a link, but I don't know if it's frowned upon or not on this site. I have used them for probably the past 9 years or so for my pigeon feed, but they also have many blends and straight seeds for wild birds as well. The feed is very clean, and reasonably priced... however they are based in Ohio, so you need to e-mail them and see if they have any retailers in your area. I definitely recommend them
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The squirrels get any black sunflower seeds we Put out

They also pull out & dump on the ground all the millet and anything else that isn't sunflower seeds

I feed my squirrels lead, I think? Whatever is in rat shot.

Most of my feeders are squirrel proof out of the box. Those that aren’t, I simply modify.

I have had a few bags with extra chaff, not really a brand thing, seems to be an occasional regional thing, but thats just a WAG. Just got a bag at Family farm and home thats pretty clean, it goes on sale tomorrow for $10.50 per 40# bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back