Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently became an advisor at an FCA dealership, but I still have my Cruze. I can get the 0w40 SRT oil fairly reasonable being an employee. Obviously this oil isn't Dexos approved. I'm considering it because it's easily available and very reasonable in price and I don't have to order it or go anywhere. My question for the experts, will this oil be ok for my 1.4t? Or should I just forget about it. I would like to think that I'd be ok if its good enough for hellcats and vipers, but I'm not qualified to make such an assumption.

What is 'reasonable in price?'

Lots of qualified oils might be had for less.

If you are interested, there are a lot of threads regarding this oil. Lots of moly; AZ had a closeout a year ago for $2/qt.

Not advertised as a long drain oil, probably the only 0w-40 that isn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
With the preignition problem I would check the additive numbers.
What exactly should I be looking for?

The proper Pennzoil oil in a 5 quart jug at Walmart is $22.47 TODAY/2/10/2018. The Platinum High Mileage is $27.78 today.

I bet if you search what oil they use in Europe on those engines, it will be 0/5w/30 or 0/5w40 A3 oil.
I had a few jugs of 0w40 Castrol Edge which was for my old BMW. What I did , I mixed the 0w40 with 5w30
for my daughters 2011 Cruze. I don't think it will be a problem but mix it like I did if your not sure.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Forget about it.

Moly will kill the turbo...

Use a Dexos 1 oil...
Considering that Dexos oils from both Mobil and Pennzoil have Moly, I'm not understanding the logic behind this response, could you explain?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The proper Pennzoil oil in a 5 quart jug at Walmart is $22.47 TODAY/2/10/2018. The Platinum High Mileage is $27.78 today.
That's fine and dandy, but that's not the point of the question, also platinum high mileage doesn't have DEXOS specs.

Well, you can use either M1 or PP in the recommended grade that also meet the current dexos spec for less coin AMIR than this 0W-40, so why bother?
I personally wouldn't.
Would this oil cause any harm to the little turbo engine?
Probably not but it wouldn't be an upgrade either.

Originally Posted By: JHogan
I recently became an advisor at an FCA dealership, but I still have my Cruze. I can get the 0w40 SRT oil fairly reasonable being an employee. Obviously this oil isn't Dexos approved. I'm considering it because it's easily available and very reasonable in price and I don't have to order it or go anywhere. My question for the experts, will this oil be ok for my 1.4t? Or should I just forget about it. I would like to think that I'd be ok if its good enough for hellcats and vipers, but I'm not qualified to make such an assumption.

Between the datasheet from Shell and the VOA on this site, it's a good oil for just about anything. It's low phosphorus (good for the cat convertor) and it's intended for use in engines that run hot in "sporting" use. It'll be fine.

Only $9.99

https://www.ruralking.com/oil-hk-5w30-full-synthetic-5qt.html

1_41_67.jpg

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

What a load of [censored].

X 1,000,000

Oil starvation and coking kills turbos.

Further, turbo's don't die. They are murdered.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

What a load of [censored].

X 1,000,000

Oil starvation and coking kills turbos.

Further, turbo's don't die. They are murdered.
do you watch cleanprincegaming on YouTube? Lol

I bought tons of it a couple years ago for $2 a quart. The epic AZ clearance. Weird oil. Not good enough for my best car, wrong or too good for the others. LOL. I just put 4.5 quarts of it in a 09 Subaru Forester. Girl I'm dating. "Only the best for your car baby."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back