Best oil for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a delivery driver. There are lots of short trips and city traffic. I commute to the city 40 miles on the highway so there is a 50/50 mix of city/highway miles. I use a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6. This van has 187,500 miles on it.

It leaks oil at multiple locations. I am not fixing this problem. I mention it as a point to note in my oil selection. I understand that 2 quarts of top off between 5,000 mile oil change intervals is a lot and adds to my oil cost. I would have to tear down the engine to fix all of the leaks. I would rather spend time and money on a new vehicle at $1500 instead.

I keep it maintained other than the oil leaks. I replaced the antifreeze and auto trans fluid within the last 3,000 miles.

I use Mobil1 5W20 High Mileage Synthetic at the moment. Cost is a huge problem at each oil change. I will continue to use this oil if it is the most cost efficient one for me to use. However, I am researching whether a switch to conventional oil will reduce my oil cost efficiency considering that the reduction in up front cost also reduces the gas mileage benefit of using synthetic oil.

What is the formula for this cost efficiency calculation between synthetic oil, conventional oil, and gas mileage? Should I use conventional oil or synthetic?

I'd pick up a 5 gallon pail of Rotella T4 10W-30. It works out to about $3/qt and will handle just about anything you can throw at it.

I'm gonna have to agree with bumping it to a 5w30. But try Pennzoil High Mileage 5w30.

M1 HM in the 10W-30 grade.
This would likely reduce leaks/consumption and shouldn't cause any measurable decline in fuel economy.
You can get four jugs cheaply each year by taking advantage of Mobil's spring and fall MIRs.
If I had an engine with known leak/consumption problems in a place where it never gets really cold, I don't think I'd use a 5W-20 grade oil in it.
The fuel economy benefits of a lower HTHS oil are real and measurable, but probably not noticeable off a test dyno.

There is really no reason to use M1 and change it at 5,000 mile intervals.

I am focused on cost as my main priority. That's why I want to find a formula to be certain of my decision. I am looking away from synthetic and toward conventional types of oil since the initial cost is lower.

I was curious about the oem spec weight for your van and it does look like it's 5W20. Maybe try another 5W20 high mileage oil. Pennzoil High Mileage,Max Life,GTX High Mileage,etc. You said that you want to move away from synthetics,Pennzoil High Mileage is a conventional high mileage oil and is an excellent oil.

Does it make sense to invest in an oil filter that will go 10k+ miles and change it at 10-12k miles and just keep topping off with cheapest conventional HM? You are putting 1 qt of oil in every 2500 miles, not sure if your sump is 4, 5 or more quarts, this would be important to understand. Changing oil and filter I presume at 5k means some of the oil you are dumping has been in there 2500 miles or less depending upon top off. You will always be chasing the fact that newer oil may be dumped but this is something to consider. Maybe folks here smarter than I can work out a formulation to prove it right or wrong.

Last edited:
I'd look at doing cheap oils from Walmart. Conventional Supertech 5w20 or 5w30. For a little more you can get the Castrol GTX ultra clean. I would also consider Supertech High milage or the Castrol High milage or whatever other blend oil is cheap. If your not going to fix it then use whatever inexpensive oil you can. No sense in putting in a premium oil.

In a delivery van you will junk sooner rather than later - SuperTech High Mileage in any grade thicker than a 20 ...

ST HM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Conventional and jump to a 5-30. Your mpg will only go down slightly with your driving habits.

Agreed; get some Valvoline Maxlife 5w30.

Id try 5w30 High Mileage conventional. If you can slow the leak to 1/2qt top off or less..gas will only take a minor hit.

Originally Posted By: vincent714028
I understand that 2 quarts of top off between 5,000 mile oil change intervals is a lot and adds to my oil cost.

Switch to conventional, and change it at 7,500 miles if you top up that often. Every new quart of oil adds a bit to the additive package.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I'd jump to a 15W-40 wt diesel oil . Thicker oil leaks less and is cheap. you won't be able to any difference in mileage that's worth mentioning.,,,

That is true. Harvest King 15W-40 is only $12 for 2 gallons. 2 gallons will last you 15,000 miles --- for a whole $12

With that many miles and adding two quarts every 5000 miles, I would pick a good synthetic or semi-blend and change it every 20k miles.

Last edited:
With the top off schedule you have, your oil add pack is being consistently refreshed. This is a good thing. As said in a previous post ST high mileage in a 30 would serve you well especially since you intend to replace in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back