Garage Air Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to add an air compressor to my garage, not anything big, just a 20 or so gallon for the moment. Not looking to keep it portable though, but stationary in a corner. My question is can I run a stationary line in PEX? I know PVC is a big no as far as compressed air lines, and metal lines are out of the budget. I know they sell Garage-Pak air line kits, but like metal, it's out of the budget. I have a PEX crimping tool, and the tubing is affordable. Would there be any objections to using PEX? Max pressure would be in the 120psi range and not pressurized all the time.

I have seen PVC used for air lines . I did not know it was a no - no ?

Can not remember what the pressure ratings are for PEX and the fittings ?

I have used it only once , when we replaced the water main to the house . I used brass fittings & the copper crimp rings .

Best of luck to you .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have seen PVC used for air lines . I did not know it was a no - no ?

When PVC fails, it turns into plastic shrapnel.

Maybe I'm a gambler and don't know it. In our house we sold to move where we are now, we had a two car garage. I set my compressor up in a small room off the garage and ran four lines from the compressor to the four most convenient and useful locations. Coming from the compressor I used the black coated steel pipe and transitioned over to 1/2" schedule 40 pvc in the ceiling. At the end of each run I transitioned back to the black coated steel pipe for the down portion from the ceiling. I did this to prevent someone from accidentally damaging the pvc. I wasn't worried about the pvc overhead from being damaged. I never had an issue using the pvc. It held up just fine for eight years. The person who bought the house was delighted it was already there for him to use.

Where we are now I used the same configuration with only two runs. One basically just goes through a garage wall opposite the compressor (all steel pipe), and I ran about 25' of pvc to my workbench.

I looked at a lot of the kits for this purpose. They were more costly than what I wanted to spend. Only real cost to my set-up was the steel pipe and the transition couplings. I'm sure some might be questioning my set-up but it worked for me. YMMV.

If PEX works-GREAT!

If heavy PVC works-GREAT!

A friend bought a 12 year old pre-fab house (a demo which had never been hooked up except for electric) plumbed with PVC.

When we sent water to it all the PVC split, cracked away and crumbled. No doubt this pre-fab was of lower quality throughout but, if there's some kind of weakness in PVC and something else works a lot better, I'd say go for the better line material.

The heavier PVC might be just fine. I don't know.

Looks like for my needs it will probably be ok. The link Trav posted does look like it would be cost efficient.

As far as PVC, I'd be less worried about UV and more about temperature in my garage. It's a detached un-insulated garage that gets real cold in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You can get 100ft 1/2" OD air line for cheap then get the push on fittings you need. This is fine for your unit but not for large 2 stage compressors pre regulator.

https://www.weselltools.com/100-ft-rapid...ASABEgIajPD_BwE

Exactly.

Even the cheap orange PCV hose from Harbor Freight would work great. Better than trying to use the stuff 'non-stationary' in a cold garage.

If you want to run just a section of pipe to attach hose to, I'd just use black iron.

Last edited:
32.gif
Sorry, but with a user name of Delta and a subject line of "Garage Air Lines", I expected the post to be related to something else entirely.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Back on topic, heat will influence the amount of pressure that PEX (or any plastic) can withstand. A quick Google search found this:

Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
Would sunlight weaken the PVC or is the yellowing not a problem to the integrity?

That's a great point. I would never have used the pvc like I did if it was exposed to an outside environment. And I previously stated black steel pipe, I meant black iron pipe. Maximum pressure for Sch. 40 pvc is approximatelyy 360 psi. Burst pressure approximately 1900 psi. To me, air pressure at between 90 - 120 psi should be fine. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

PVC pipe is OK, I guess. But the fitting tend to break after a while. Especially the Tee's ... Shedule 80 might be OK ...

I'd just go get Harbor Freight hose and run that. Cheap, easy, no issues
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
smile.gif

I've thought about that, but I've had 2 of those burst that was connected to a smaller compressor. Not fun trying to run down a 25ft high platform to turn off the compressor. This was in industrial use though. We bought some Goodyear hose and crimp fittings from McMaster-Carr and have had no issues with that. That might not be a bad idea.

Originally Posted By: Delta
just a 20 or so gallon for the moment.

You sound like me. I wouldn't do anything permanent since it sounds like you may upgrade. That said, you may want to buy the best you can afford at the moment. Take some decent air tool use into consideration too.

Hose ran in the ceiling, along the walls etc. should work. Some T's and manifolds would make things easier too.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
smile.gif

I've thought about that, but I've had 2 of those burst that was connected to a smaller compressor. Not fun trying to run down a 25ft high platform to turn off the compressor. This was in industrial use though. We bought some Goodyear hose and crimp fittings from McMaster-Carr and have had no issues with that. That might not be a bad idea.

Give Bluebird air hose a try. I believe Trav recommended it at one time.

Yea, PVC is fine, until it isnt and explodes lol.

I have seen some people use PEX-AL-PEX, and it tends to be fine. I would absolutely 110% not use PVC. Your gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back