Added Dex-Cool to green Prestone, should I change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out on the road earlier this week, and had to add coolant to my Dodge diesel. I bought a gallon of 50/50 prediluted coolant, but didn't notice that it was Dexcool until I was ready to pour it in. But I had to get going, so I added about 3/4 gallon of the 50/50 Dexcool to my 4-gallon system. Should I drain and refill with the proper Prestone green? Or how long can I run the weird coolant mix?

I haven't had any personal experience with this, but I've read that this is a bad idea to mix dex-cool and regular green. I have read it causes gelling in the cooling system. Others with more personal experience with validate or nix this notion.

No need to rush but change it all out after the temps warm up in a month or so.

Continue to avoid the Dex-Cool. This would be the perfect time to switch it over to G05.

Originally Posted By: Cressida

Continue to avoid the Dex-Cool. This would be the perfect time to switch it over to G05.

x2 to all of the above aside from avoiding Dexcool. It's a good long life coolant; it just doesn't play well with others. The GM gasket failures that started the whole scare were due to poor material choices and had nothing to do with the coolant. GM owners disregarded their owners manual and added conventional green, which just added to the drama.

That said, Dexcool is still the factory fill for new GM vehicles.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

x2 to all of the above aside from avoiding Dexcool. It's a good long life coolant; it just doesn't play well with others. The GM gasket failures that started the whole scare were due to poor material choices and had nothing to do with the coolant. GM owners disregarded their owners manual and added conventional green, which just added to the drama.

When did GM cure the gasket problems . I have Dex in a 2005 Buick . ?

I agree , dump the mix , flush with clean water & fill with what Dodge recommends .

Best of luck to you .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

I agree , dump the mix , flush with clean water & fill with what Dodge recommends .

Best of luck to you .
04 I believe. Don't forget that a diesel has different coolant needs than a gassers. Make sure to use diesel coolant in that Cummins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

Best of luck to you .

Good question. I bought my 1997 knowing the lower intake manifold gaskets needed replaced. I drove it for ~4 months without any noticeable consumption. (Maybe 1 pint all together?)

If you aren't having to add coolant, I'd say you're in good shape. Typically, you can smell it too.

I've seen a mix of orange and green coolant in a ranger that formed some globs of brown sludge. I don't know the history of the vehicle or how long they were mixed but it clogged up the overflow hose and was a bit of a mess.

I would drain and flush it pretty soon.

If the green was an "all makes/models" universal you may be in better shape but I wouldn't chance it in my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Was out on the road earlier this week, and had to add coolant to my Dodge diesel. I bought a gallon of 50/50 prediluted coolant, but didn't notice that it was Dexcool until I was ready to pour it in. But I had to get going, so I added about 3/4 gallon of the 50/50 Dexcool to my 4-gallon system. Should I drain and refill with the proper Prestone green? Or how long can I run the weird coolant mix?

Yes, IMO you should absolutely drain the system & you should probably do a flush on it as well. What you refill it with is up to you, just make sure it is all the same kind - no more mixing different kinds!
wink.gif

Probably quite a while, but potential consequences of mixing coolant types become more pronounced with time obviously. So you do not have to do it tomorrow, but you should not wait several months either. Do it as soon as you can, and you will be just fine I suspect.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I would've thought an 01 Mopar took HOAT aka G05, I know for 02 they switched.

My 2001 Ram Sport 4X4 with 360 / 5.9L gasoline engine took traditional green coolant, it was the factory fill. I kept it with traditional green coolant and sold it in 2014. 2002 MY was the switch to G05 HOAT, through 2012 MY (my current Ram with 5.7L V8). MY 2013 forward has OAT.

OP, in Texas I would have just topped with distilled water and run that until autumn, but you're in a different environment. I'd drain & flush with distilled water at earliest reasonable opportunity. Not sure what I'd choose to go back with other than traditional green as I've never owned a diesel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back