Changing valve gasket on Ranger. Varnish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSG

Wanted to ask the question. I'm replacing the valve cover gasket on my 01' Ranger which has about 185k miles on it. Just doing maintance and other things so figured why I am doing injectors/plugs...etc. Might as well change the gasket since everything is apart. Plus gives me the chance to paint the valve cover.

Anyways, this is what the inside looks like. I can get a better picture. Seems to be coated in varnish. NOTE that there is ZERO sludge... anywhere. Just coated. Should I try a different oil or clean it with other products running through the system? I've heard people say seafoam it but honestly I think that stuff is a probably snake oil.

I have been using Valvoline high mileage 5e30 for probably 5+ years and changed it every 5k miles along with motor-craft filter.

Just wanted some thoughts. If all appears normal and this isn't a problem then I will button it up once I am done with everything and continue to do what I've been doing...etc.

2ca2798e22e08dbd9f941065247db051-full.jpg

Thanks,
-Nigel

Originally Posted By: NSG
my 01' Ranger which has about 185k miles... Seems to be coated in varnish. NOTE that there is ZERO sludge...

Just wanted some thoughts. If all appears normal and this isn't a problem

Yes, Nigel - after 185,000 that is to be expected. Nothing at all out of the ordinary.

The Ford "Lima" engine is pretty TOUGH.
Yours looks like brand new compared to some I have seen!!

Wouldn't worry and keep driving. I am guessing you have not owned it from new? It can be avoided with frequent enough oil changes. Could have been one owner going too long on several changes with the cheapest oil they could find. Without sludge though, pretty harmless.

Don't bother with the "cleaning" products. Not worth the time and effort or money.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Yes, Nigel - after 185,000 that is to be expected. Nothing at all out of the ordinary.

That's not true at all. With frequent enough oil changes, varnish can be completely avoided and the engine looking like new inside.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
That's not true at all. With frequent enough oil changes, varnish can be completely avoided and the engine looking like new inside.

It can be, with highway driving and particularly good maintenance, but what I see there isn't anything to worry about at all. If the engine's running well otherwise, gettng good mileage, and the PCV works correctly, motor on.

5k with Maxlife blend. This is arguably a good oil with conservative OCI's.

Not that it's bad, but I am not seeing a benefit of using this over conventional?

If you are concerned, step it up to full synthetic. NAPA, ST, M1 or SOPUS (w/ rebates.)

From the distant shot it looks like light varnish. For 185K miles it's fine. Slap it back together and drive it.

A thin coat of that can't be a problem. However, with supershort 5k oci I would expect less. Maybe check the PCV system to make sure there is good ventilation of excessive fumes in there.

Originally Posted By: lars11
A thin coat of that can't be a problem. However, with supershort 5k oci I would expect less. Maybe check the PCV system to make sure there is good ventilation of excessive fumes in there.

Really? a 5K OCI on a 17 year old truck is considered 'supershort'?

Don't see a problem here. 185k and a little varnish? Will only be a problem in your mind. Drive on. If it bothers you, Kreen it. But sometimes trying to clean with additives can cause leaks internal or external in a engine that age. I'd just drive on!

I wouldn’t worry about that at all. Button it back up and keep driving. Any attempt to “correct” this non-problem is complete OCD...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: NSG
my 01' Ranger which has about 185k miles... Seems to be coated in varnish. NOTE that there is ZERO sludge...

Just wanted some thoughts. If all appears normal and this isn't a problem

The Ford "Lima" engine is pretty TOUGH.
Yours looks like brand new compared to some I have seen!!

How many have you seen with DOHC? lol Thinking it is "some other engine" in there...

Last edited:
I changed the VC gasket at 200K on my 2007 Fusion 2.3 and it looked like new clean, no varnish. Oil used, M1 0-20 at 10K OCIs. Varnish shows the oil has been oxidizing from heat. That can lead to ring coking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

How many have you seen with DOHC? lol Thinking it is "some other engine" in there...

Believe it or not those years the 2.3's were DOHC. The 2.5 was SOHC IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back