Medicine from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to gather opinions out there. I bought some generic Tylenol at a Walmart the other day. After I took a couple of tabs I was reading the label. Made in China! Most generic OTC drugs are made in the US, India or Israel. The big Pharma companies have brand name drugs made in India so there are standards there. Also in Israel. But China??
I don't think I'll take anymore of this "Tylenol".
Would you????

Is it the in-house "Equate" brand of Walmart? Or distributed by someone else?

While I would kinda sorta trust Walmart to inspect and monitor something like this, I wouldn't. I do a lot of business in China and I bring suitcase loads of different items to them because they don't trust their own products. For instance I bring a lot of baby formula each trip out there. I would never buy any pet food or treats from China either. Of course as I say this, I use Chinese toothpaste every day and have for years so you are probably ok
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes Equate brand. First time I've seen Equate stuff from there.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
While I would kinda sorta trust Walmart to inspect and monitor something like this, I wouldn't. I do a lot of business in China and I bring suitcase loads of different items to them because they don't trust their own products. For instance I bring a lot of baby formula each trip out there. I would never buy any pet food or treats from China either. Of course as I say this, I use Chinese toothpaste every day and have for years so you are probably ok
smile.gif

That's interesting that they don't trust their own products. I have received quality manufactured stuff from China but I don't think they have any oversight on drugs etc. They counterfeit a lot of stuff.

I was in Pharma sales to Veterinarians and we found that base chemicals/compounds from China were very inferior to the ones from Europe and the US. When the patent was up on Frontline Flea and Tick product, generics hit the market right away. Our base ingredient Fipronyl came from BASF in Germany. The generics came from China and they did not work. None of them.
You get what you pay for!

I get my dog Heartgard out if Australia because the vet wants to rip me on a test and physical for the dog every 6 months. I don't even get a physical every 6 months.
Why Heartgard and flea medication is a perscription for animals is beyond me except $$$$.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes Equate brand. First time I've seen Equate stuff from there.

I would think Walmart ensures their "Equate" branded stuff is good. Maybe email Walmart and ask how they ensure Equate products like what you bought and made in China are monitored for quality, etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

LOL, agreed..I don't think anyone in this house takes "pain relief"

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Originally Posted By: c502cid
smile.gif

That's interesting that they don't trust their own products. I have received quality manufactured stuff from China but I don't think they have any oversight on drugs etc. They counterfeit a lot of stuff.

There was a rash of infant deaths in China from companies there manufacturing baby formula with some cheap chemical to make the protien content test falsely higher than it was. When it got too big to be covered up, there was big outrage in a country with a 1 child policy at the time.

There was a spate of pet deaths here from pet treats imported from China someone had played some similar chemical games with.

I have a difficult enough time with pharma from India, hopefully meds I depend on won't be shifted to Chinese manufacture. 60 Minutes had a feature some years ago where the daughter of a pharma company executive in India was continuing to get worse with his company's drug, they finally in desperation treated her with the brand name drug from a Western factory and it saved her life. That pharma exec said on camera he would never give his family products from his company again and advised anyone needing that medication yo insist on name brand.

But like many the health insurance I have pretty much insists on generic if available to be covered. I've had generic prescription medicine from Singapore (which was a self-administered injection), as well as generic prescription meds from India, Israel, and Mexico, and so far, I'm still here.

Pharma from India is good quality.... but what they do to they own environment in the meanwhile... OH BOY!

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
TThere was a rash of infant deaths in China from companies there manufacturing baby formula with some cheap chemical to make the protien content test falsely higher than it was. When it got too big to be covered up, there was big outrage in a country with a 1 child policy at the time.

There was a spate of pet deaths here from pet treats imported from China someone had played some similar chemical games with.

The old melamine (countertop covering) protein switcheroo....

Here in Oz, the baby formula scandal is causing chaos

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/...217ba6d5a42e452

Gangs of Chinese clear out the baby formula literally as the shelves are being stacked, to post home to China.

That's another product that NEVER came through the door of our house.

China can make ANYTHING...and they can do it as well or as poorly as you are prepared to pay, and have your own inspections of their facilities in real time.

New Zealand dairy giant Fontera was involved in that formula scandal, in that they had a stake in the company, and it was Fontera milk powder they were using. Damage control in overdrive, but they took a hit from it. Like everyone else with factories in China, you need to have a man on the ground constantly doing quality control, if left alone they will cut quality straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back