M1 10W-30 in 2010 Honda Rancher 4 wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back there was worry about synthetic oils and wet dish clutches. I just bought a Honda Rancher and I need to change the oil in it soon. I have plenty of M1 10W-30 and would like to use that in it, assuming it won't ruin the clutch. I have been using the old formula 15W50 M1 in my dirt bikes and street bikes without issue but it was made before the friction modifiers were being used. A lot of folks were using Rotella T synthetic at the time but last I looked they want as much for 2 quarts of that as a whole 5 qt jug of M1.

Perry

As others have stated, try not to use automotive oil in anything with a wet clutch. The exception being some 10w40 or 15w40 oils without the energy conserving label.... but with the abundance of quality wet clutch (motorcycle/ATV) oils available at decent price points, I don't see the point of running anything else.

EDIT: as someone else pointed out, T4 actually meets JASO standards for use in wet clutch applications.

Last edited:
Well the Rotella T and the Vavoline are conventional oils not synthetics. I already have some Delo 400 I can use if I want conventional oil. The Rotella T synthetic has gone through the roof lately.

Perry

I’ve been gravitating to the Mobil 1 pictured above for motorbikes and ATV’s. Walmart usually has it, or similar stores.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
use Shell Rotella T 15w40....$14 a gallon

Are you still o.k. with this going from CJ to CK?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Here is some Mobil synthetic that is apparently suitable for wet clutches.

good stuff but super expensive..wonder if the rebate works on this flavor.

I am having shifting problems with my Honda Rancher with electric shift. It gets better when it is hot. I don't know what the PO put in there. I already put grease in the reduction gear box for the electric shift with no improvement. It seems to be internal friction on the dog clutches. I figure synthetic would smooth that up a bit. I am tempted to use the standard 10W30 M1 and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back