oil molecules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a looong time! So long that my email has changed at least twice and I forgot what my displayed name was. So I had to register as a noob.... You can skip past the "Welcomes"!

I envision motor oil as being billions of micro bearings. I also think that these micro bearings on the 0w20 motor oils are smaller than those of the 5w30 oils. Am I correct? If not, I'll have to go back to another car forum and eat crow. That's OK!! I don't mind being wrong.

Doubt the analogy works very well, though you can't really say an analogy is "correct" anyway since its, like, only an analogy.

IF it was a good model, (which implies that oil molecules are roughly spherical) then it implies that fewer, bigger ball bearings would have a greater resistance to motion and shear, since bigger molecules have higher viscosity.

I don't THINK this would be the case for bigger ball bearings. I'd expect it to be the other way around.

If you swap "billions of micro bearings" for "oil film" and "smaller" for "thinner", then you'd be correct.

Originally Posted By: RetiredSux
I also think that these micro bearings oil film on the 0w20 motor oils are smaller is thinner than those of the 5w30 oils.

This is what blood looks like. Pity the craft was destroyed and we lost the technology.

fantastic-voyage-1.jpeg

Originally Posted By: Silk
This is what blood looks like. Pity the craft was destroyed and we lost the technology.

fantastic-voyage-1.jpeg

I loved that movie!!

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Oil molecules are closer to a fuzzy rope than a ballbearing

I think of oil like "stew" - lots of stuff mixed together.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

fantastic-voyage-1.jpeg

I loved that movie!!

LOVED that movie when I was a kid!

Thanks for bringing back some memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back