Storms develop out of nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to give it to the weather forecasters lately. They've been doing a good job predicting the weather. At one point I quit watching the forecast cause it was a joke. So how is it they predict rain when it's not even there 4 hours earlier? I just checked the radar a few hours ago and there was nothing on it. Now I check it and their is one big mess on it.

Welcome to winter. Even a groundhog can predict weather better than "doppler radar"

They said we would have mild winter; my rear end! 4" snow and 1.5" freezing rain Wednesday. Oh joy it was NOT

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have to give it to the weather forecasters lately. They've been doing a good job predicting the weather. At one point I quit watching the forecast cause it was a joke. So how is it they predict rain when it's not even there 4 hours earlier? I just checked the radar a few hours ago and there was nothing on it. Now I check it and their is one big mess on it.
It's all in the models-supercomputers crunching numbers. Getting better forecasts every year!

Typically this time of year in Houston we don't get many rain storms where it thunders and what not.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm_of_1962

Why do freak storms always seem to adhere to weekend and statutory holiday schedules?
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
They said we would have mild winter; my rear end! 4" snow and 1.5" freezing rain Wednesday. Oh joy it was NOT

Blame the Farmer's Almanac for that.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: PimTac

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm_of_1962

Why do freak storms always seem to adhere to weekend and statutory holiday schedules?
mad.gif

It’s not just storms. The Good Friday Earthquake of 1964 for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake

We had relatives living near Anchorage at that time. It took them over a month to get word down to Seattle that they were okay.
The tsunami from that quake hit the west coast and a number of people got washed away as they were curious about the extra low tide, not knowing what had happened. No instant communications back then.

I was stationed at Kodiak for 18 months and hiked up the small mountain behind the town. There was and maybe still is a marker denoting the height of the water. It was mind boggling to say the very least. Kodiak was destroyed by the tsunami. Even during my tour, you could still see the visible mark on the mountain where the wave went up to. It was a faint scar.

I was in Kodiak in 1976-77.

Last edited:
There a lot better at predicting weather than they were 20 yrs ago...
They said snow,rain,ice about 5 day's ago and sure enough we got that, almost with in a 20 mile line...
I suspect in another 5,10,years they'll have a 14 day forcast...

I think during the summer they aren't as good around here. In the summer the weather is going to do what it's going to do.

Speaking of storms happening in certain days, the Puget Sound region got hit on Clinton’s first Inaugural Day and that is what we named it. It was not forecasted either.

Our power was out for 9 days. It took just over 30 to get all utilities back online to the house.

We generally know what weather is coming here in New Zealand, it can be seen a long way off, out of the Southern Ocean, the Coral Sea, or off Australia. Timing and severity can be off, but the News and Weather like to err on the side of drama, so it's not usually worse than predicted.

It's summer here, but also the cyclone season. Last week we got hit with the remains of an old cyclone, still a pretty severe storm though. Tourists were cut off by road slips, and had to spend the night in cars, and were helicoptered out the next day. They were on the News, a bit upset and some mouthing off that the emergency services were 3rd World, and more should have been done etc. As the camera was panning, a local came up to one of the tourists who had been on camera and said ''But you knew a storm was coming didn't you ?'' The tourist said ''Oh yes, but we thought....''

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Beautiful weather here in Pomona today.

It snowed here.

"You should have gone to qualifying" since its in your backyard! John Force lit his car up like a $100k M80! Actually, cost more than 100k...

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
Any minute now someone will probably mention HAARP.
smirk.gif

"I think you just did"

Can you see it from your house...lol!

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Beautiful weather here in Pomona today.

It snowed here.

"You should have gone to qualifying" since its in your backyard! John Force lit his car up like a $100k M80! Actually, cost more than 100k...

The Winternationals are why I'm in Pomona. I was standing near the line watching the floppers run, to gauge track conditions, when he had his issues. He's fine, and they should be ready to go tomorrow.

[/quote]

The Winternationals are why I'm in Pomona. I was standing near the line watching the floppers run, to gauge track conditions, when he had his issues. He's fine, and they should be ready to go tomorrow. [/quote]

Cool, I saw the Old man stunned getting out the wreckage. He was walking around fine in a minute. Tough old dog.That's one thing I miss about living in soCal. Have fun!

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder

Cool, I saw the Old man stunned getting out the wreckage. He was walking around fine in a minute. Tough old dog.That's one thing I miss about living in soCal. Have fun!

While I like the weather in SoCal, the way the State is run would drive me crazy, so I've avoided living here. I've worked for various Fuel car teams in the NHRA for years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back