Best and worst car seats you have owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the best and worst car seats you have owned?

Mine's a bit odd - I have 2 tied for most comfortable; but one is also the worst as well!

Best - 1985 Buick Skyhawk - for an econo car, super soft comfortable seats. Impressive, but they became the worst when all the springs and wiring started poking out of them!
Best - 2003 Mazda Tribute - amazing on long trips. They also never 'wore out', were just as supportive at 10+ years old.

Worst - the Skyhawk above; and my 2002 Cavalier. The front buckets in that just squished down to nothing.

Worst I have ever seen: Dad's friends 1976 AMC Gremlin. 10+ years of short-tripping, seat was 'rebuilt' with duct tape and cheap chair pads - was literally as hard as a rock, like sitting on plywood. He drove it like this every day!

I liked the seats in oldsmobile cieras, the seat angle was perfect for me. Felt like i was driving a couch down the road. I like the seats in my avalanche.

The hyundai leather seats are not that comfortable on longer trips. Worst seats i have sat in are the rear seats of a mazda cx-3. They are only suitable for car seats or really small children.

Last edited:
The seats in my Rav4 look and feel brand new. My wife is very gentle on them.

Not really loving the faux leather on my Camry. Wish cars still came with upholstery like in the 70s/80s. Not that vinyl junk but the cushy fabric like the Lazy Boy in your family room.

MB-Tex seats in my 300D... real nice. Seem to have "trucker springs" in the lower cushion with lots of travel. Good bolsters, nice material.

Worst-- bench in a 97 grand marquis. Like sitting on a bar stool. No side support at all-- in fact I had to clench up to avoid falling off in rotaries.

I had a '91 Regal that I swapped a perfect set of Cutlass Supreme International Series leather seats into. Those were high on the list.

My '95 Volvo 960 had amazing seats, as most Volvo's do.

My '96 Aurora had great seats for a luxo barge.

Last but not least my current Marauder. Barca loungers, but wonderful.

I would say the worst ever was either my Cavalier or my F150 with the bench seat. Hard to remember all the vehicles I've had.

Best - My Jeep because they're cooled.

Fun fact - Omnis and Horizons had surprisingly good seats!

Worst - None I can remember. Won't buy a car with uncomfortable seats.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
MB-Tex seats in my 300D... real nice. Seem to have "trucker springs" in the lower cushion with lots of travel. Good bolsters, nice material.

I like the w123 seats for the spring and support. But sport seats are more supportive.

Best are my BMW sport seats.

But for regular seats, tie between our old '08 VW rabbit and our '14 Odyssey.

I'm starting to think that the worst is my '15 Accord. They're just deficient or not ideally shaped for my middle back.

Best - Not sure, had several that I liked, probably my '92 Dodge Dynasty.
Worst - 1970 Plymouth Barracuda rear seats - not enough there for anyone / anything. Tied with the driver's seat on my '99 Pontiac Bonneville. Went flat and stayed that way.

Best - Phaeton. I'm certain I have the winning thrones.

Worst - 911's sport seats. They're not made for putting on miles. The fuel tank is small, so it works out.

Best: 2010 Taurus
Worst: 2017 Elantra

I currently have the Sonata; I traded in the Elantra primarily because the seats were downright awful. My L3 is fractured, and the disc is destroyed, so I deal with back pain nearly constantly, and those seats made my back hurt. The Sonatas are vastly better but aren't wonderful by any means. By far the most comfortable car seats I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in were the one's in my Taurus. I regret selling that car all the time.

My Best ever: 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham "pillow top" seats
2nd best: 1979 Ford F250 bench
3rd best: 2008 F150

2nd worst: 1993 Ford Ranger

ABSOLUTE worst: a brand new ('99 or 2000?) Chevy 1500. I thought they were torture devices!

Most comfortable- First to pop into my mind is the 2003 Camry. I also liked the seats in our 87 Celebrity.
Least comfortable- I echo this sentiment. 99 Ford Taurus seats were good for 10-15 minutes tops.

Cars I've had with really bad seats were '50's era, but we won't go there. Modern era, the couple of Ladas
we owned were the worst, they had no side support, it was like sitting on a stool...arm out the window to support going around corners. My Volvo has nice plush seats, all day driving seats. Best would've been in my 1990 Diamante, leather with adjustments everywhere, and a fold down arm rest, very nice to drive.

Best: the sport seats in my M235i and Club Sport, as well as the E21 Recaros I installed in my 2002. The sport seats in the Clubman aren't bad either.
Worst: the base seats in my son's E90 328i- guaranteed backache after 1.5 hours.
Much better than expected: the seats in my Sahara.

Best: My Sonata. Very comfortable, I can sit in them for hours. Also really good we're in my 2004 VW Beetle TDI GLS, they had leather and were great. It was actually the roomiest car I've ever driven, most headroom and legroom (for the driver).

Worst: 1997 Toyota Camry. Oh my god we're those bad. I once drove it 20 hours straight to Montana and couldn't stand it. It had a lot of miles and the seat was worn out.

My 2000 Camry is bad too but a little better. They have reverse lumbar support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back