Web Browser help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Win7 with IE 11 with Firefox as additional help. Is there a better app than FF. I get no less than 5 tracking cookies every time I use FF and it takes upwards of 30 seconds to load each time I use it and it is so heavy with junk I really don't want or need.
As usual thanks for your assistance.

Smoky the old duffer

Try installing uBlock Origin add-on in FF.

Also, check to see if you have any add-ons installed in FF that you don't need/use and remove them.

first,
add ublock origin for firefox.
I think there is also a plug-in to empty the cache

second, install chrome and add ublock origin for chrome

third, install Opera.

go from there.

P.S. May i recommend if you have "Precious" stuff (pictures/emails/documents) to save them on an external drive + 1 external usbstick drive.
Make sure you don't keep them connected to the computer all the time....

I use Opera, I don't have those kind of problems.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I run Firefox and don't have that problem with W10.

Firefox 58.01 and no problems with Windows 10. Another good adblocker for Firefox is AdBlock (get adblock dot com).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Also, check to see if you have any add-ons installed in FF that you don't need/use and remove them.

Just turned on FF to make sure that uBlock was turned on, maybe on for a minute only to my home page...got 3 tracking cookies in that length of time. I'm not sure the new a super FF isn't worse than IE at snooping.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Just turned on FF to make sure that uBlock was turned on, maybe on for a minute only to my home page...got 3 tracking cookies in that length of time. I'm not sure the new a super FF isn't worse than IE at snooping.

Smoky

Open a "Private Window", which doesn't allow cookies and other tracking.

In FF, do: File > New Private Window. Go from there.

Don't forget, the pages are the ones to blame for the cookies being there in the first place, not the browser. Three cookies for an ordinary web page isn't surprising or out of line. Philosophically, to me, it's obnoxious, but there are reasons.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Smoky

Firefox is not snooping: Mozilla has zero to gain by harvesting your data. The web pages you are visiting are using cookies; and not necessarily to snoop. It is cookies that enable you to revisit a thread here on BITOG and automagically go to the first unread post, for example.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
...It is cookies that enable you to revisit a thread here on BITOG and automagically go to the first unread post, for example.

No, that is a server side feature.
This is why you can use different computers and still go to the first unread.

The cookie allows you to stay logged in on a specific computer (but is not working for me on BITOG).

Originally Posted By: blupupher
...It is cookies that enable you to revisit a thread here on BITOG and automagically go to the first unread post, for example.

No, that is a server side feature.
This is why you can use different computers and still go to the first unread.

The cookie allows you to stay logged in on a specific computer (but is not working for me on BITOG).

Going to the first unread post doesn't work for those not logged in with an account? Server-side would only work for logged-in users, no?

Going to the first unread post doesn't work for those not logged in with an account? Server-side would only work for logged-in users, no?

Yep, only works if logged in, at least on this site.

My unread post marker works fine here, but I log in each time and all cookies and cache are deleted after each browser session. I come here from the office and home without any screwy counts. How well it would work if I kept cookies but didn't log in, I cannot answer.

I love the new Opera browsers, have them on our phones too.

For your Windows computer, Opera is just great.
Download it, go into settings turn on its built in ad blocker.

After some time if you like it, You can also download a plug in to stop the nasty invasive autoplay ads and news stories.

Try it for a few weeks, you have nothing to lose.
Even has built in VPN you can turn on IF that concerns you, of course it will slow you down, so I dont tell people to do it when comparing browsers because no other mainstream browser offers it anyway.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Google Chrome?

Im anti google everything, way to much power over the information they control, quite scary the amount of information they control and over what you see, including the news that you see, personally, I think it needs to be broken up/ split up and quickly.

We are at a cross roads in our country, where news sources are controlled by a small handful of MEGA GIANT corporations.

Last edited:
The main reason I need a second browser is for banking purposes, my computer bogs down for "long running script" in IE. However the banking site does not support Opera. I basically liked Opera but it was of no use as it was not supported.
Is there a way to get around the long running script, clicking "stop script" doesn't do anything.

Smoky

As mentioned earlier, try a "Private Window" in Firefox.

It may be time to upgrade your computer if so much an issue.

I use Edge for banking, Opera for everything else. But if you go to your banking website with Opera, you may get the incompatible browser message yet if you ignore it, the site may work.

Im a but confused by your post though, pretty much, there are only a few mainstream browsers and if they arent working, time to upgrade your computer. Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Microsoft Edge. Opera is based on Chromium.

or Possibly there is a fix for your computer, clean up the hard drive, back ground programs, cache, history, lots you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back