Adding Tranny Fluid in Before Oil change to clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: spasm3
GHT ?

I don't think so. I mean, I see your point...GHT used similar, umm, "logic". This guy's tone just strikes me as different.

Much more like merconvv with the angry argumentative responses lacking in any technical content.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
GHT ?

I don't think so. I mean, I see your point...GHT used similar, umm, "logic". This guy's tone just strikes me as different.

Much more like merconvv with the angry argumentative responses lacking in any technical content.

So how long do you think it'll take before he gets banned?

Wow. After we have stooped to insulting him, lets Ban Him for Debating a lack for actual Data vs Our Theories? And use our Phycology Degrees to profile him based on Him asking for any Scientific data.

Can anyone like me to data about Trans Fluid other than a Manufacturer that claims their oil is Superior in it's make up?

I'm countering that the Theories here are Snake Oil vs Trans fluid properties as fluid. Are mostly and largely strawman arguments when you peel the skin back to analyze the facts, or lack of. Transmission fluid possibly could be a good additive right prior to before a oil change due to its cleaning properties.

Anyone have any data to support documented engine damage? I can find plenty of damaged engines that had good oil in them, due to other reasons. Please link me thank you.

Last edited:
GHT ?

Yes. Diffrent.

You could also say the others are just "groups so polarized" to deep-seated views. Difference does exist in the world. Even the wrong, think they are all right even lacking evidence to confirm or consider other any possibilities. But polarized deep seated views condemn in many case to justify, especially in groups. Lacking the ability to agree to disagree without condemning. Its classic here.

Originally Posted By: jgscott

Can anyone like me to data about Trans Fluid other than a Manufacturer that claims their oil is Superior in it's make up?

Here are two links to PQIA with voa analysis. One is castol trans fluid dexIII type, the other is autozone house brand oil 5w 30 nothing special.

Trans fluid

calcium 76ppm
Phosphorus 194
Boron 97
Magnesium 2
silicon 4
zinc 7

viscosity index 124

Autozone 5w 30

calcium 1735
magnesium 7
phosphorus 787
zinc 867

viscosity index 160

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ATF MAY2013/CastrolTransmax.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/AutoZoneApril2010.htm

Simply less detergents , you are just diluting good motor oil with a lower viscosity, lower additive base oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
GHT ?

Please show me where I have had angry responses? There are a few here, but not from me.

Here are two links to PQIA with voa analysis. One is castol trans fluid dexIII type, the other is autozone house brand oil 5w 30 nothing special.

Trans fluid

calcium 76ppm
Phosphorus 194
Boron 97
Magnesium 2
silicon 4
zinc 7

viscosity index 124

Autozone 5w 30

calcium 1735
magnesium 7
phosphorus 787
zinc 867

viscosity index 160

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ATF MAY2013/CastrolTransmax.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/AutoZoneApril2010.htm

Simply less detergents , you are just diluting good motor oil with a lower viscosity, lower additive base oil.

Thank you, but would not the detergency be used quite a bit in the old oil before a oil change? Thus the New Trans fluid having detergency a bit more? I think someone here even posted that trans fluid really didn't have detergency, but I declined to respond. According to the inquires I have made with Manufacturers who make it, it has quite a lot.

I also think its better than oil and aids in the engine seals too.

Hope its ok to respond to you without risking getting banned. Thanks

Last edited:
Calcium 76 vs 1734 ?

phosphorus 194 vs 787

No zinc no moly, so no triblo film

not even close.

Molakule can step in here, but i don't think the detergents go anywhere.

You can think it, but that doesn't make it so.

Its your car, your oil, your money, and trans fluid, you can do whatever you like, but you can't sell it as a best practice to everyone else.

Last edited:
After a lengthy set of Rambling comments in the original post you asked this Question:

...Never concerned about the type, but never Sys Fluid due to cost per quart. Only requirement is that its Red. LOL! About some thoughts/input. Anyone else do this?

Answer: Yes many have done this and afterwards discovered (through some education) it was not useful as present day Motor Oils have much more detergency than ATF, so basically you are thinning down the motor oil in your engine and wasting a quart of ATF and nothing more.

Now that your question has been answered, it's time for you to go tighten some Lugnuts.
grin2.gif

Last edited:

Thank you, but would not the detergency be used quite a bit in the old oil before a oil change? Thus the New Trans fluid having detergency a bit more? I think someone here even posted that trans fluid really didn't have detergency, but I declined to respond. According to the inquires I have made with Manufacturers who make it, it has quite a lot.

You did not respond because you have no lubrication engineering data to support your wild theory.

Please inform us as to the exact question you asked them and which manufacturers have stated that ATF has more detergents than present day motor oils, and please quote them Verbatim so nothing gets lost in your translation.

What is better than oil? What are you talking about?
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

If you dare read past threads about the components in engine oil additives, you will see it has engine seal conditioners.

You have gone way past your original topical question and now you are bringing up fairy tales and uninformed theories.

Now that your question has been answered, it's time for you to go tighten some Lugnuts.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
As if there are not any Oil additive that have applications that exist? And today Oils are at a peak dead end in Technology and they will forever never change again to be better in the future.

My question about what you're trying to determine remains unanswered. However, you've received the scientific answers from someone with credentials. If you're not satisfied with the answer from someone who has formulated transmission fluids, I'm not sure what else you need to hear. I don't see Mola trying to sell transmission fluids to use as engine flushes to pad any company's sales.

I'm countering that the Theories here are Snake Oil vs Trans fluid properties as fluid. Are mostly and largely strawman arguments when you peel the skin back to analyze the facts, or lack of. Transmission fluid possibly could be a good additive right prior to before a oil change due to its cleaning properties.

OK, I'll type slowly for a bit.

ATF has around 20-25% of the "cleaning" additives of engine oil.
Say your engine oil cleaning additives at the end of the oil change interval are 80% used up, on a 4 quart sump
Add the ATF, and the nett result is ... zero. for the cleaning additives.

Throw a quart of brand new engine oil in if you ACTUALLY want to boost the depleted cleaning additives if that's your premise.

Anyone have any data to support documented engine damage? I can find plenty of damaged engines that had good oil in them, due to other reasons. Please link me thank you.

Yesterday is was provide documented proof of lack of superiority of adding ATF.

Today it's provide documented proof of engine damage.

At least you've stepped away from pointing to the superiority of the practice, and are now accepting the lack of superiority...if that's the case, why bother, even if it's not "damaging" things.

(BTW was the request for documented damage a straman in and of itself ?)

Some decades ago I ran out of 2 stroke oil for my mower, but I had some ATF - same colour, got to be good. So I mixed some up and poured it in...and it siezed. So I did go and get some 2 stroke oil, mixed 25:1 with the 25:1 ATF mix already there, and finished my lawns, and no extra smoke on the heavier mix. That was enough proof to me it's no good inside an engine.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

You did not respond because you have no lubrication engineering data to support your wild theory.

Please inform us as to the exact question you asked them and which manufacturers have stated that ATF has more detergents than present day motor oils, and please quote them Verbatim so nothing gets lost in your translation.

What is better than oil? What are you talking about?
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

If you dare read past threads about the components in engine oil additives, you will see it has engine seal conditioners.

You have gone way past your original topical question and now you are bringing up fairy tales and uninformed theories.

grin2.gif

Note that I am not bending your arm to post, be your obvious frustrations.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Some decades ago I ran out of 2 stroke oil for my mower, but I had some ATF - same colour, got to be good. So I mixed some up and poured it in...and it siezed. So I did go and get some 2 stroke oil, mixed 25:1 with the 25:1 ATF mix already there, and finished my lawns, and no extra smoke on the heavier mix. That was enough proof to me it's no good inside an engine.

Ive not had this problem in 3 years using the Trans fluid in my engine a day before a oil change.

With all due respect … this was answered on the first page by a very experienced engineer who also spun wrenches on old motors for decades. It was answered by several well read and very analytical people. It was answered by PhD’s that have developed all of these products … and are gear heads to boot …

The thread got “ugly” because you never really wanted advice from anyone …
Now, only the moderators can reach a much-needed conclusion here …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back