2010 Pilot M1 5W-20 6600 miles High Fe & Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Pilot with about 95,000 miles, I've never done a UOA before, but decided to follow (test) the MM on this OCI, so I changed it when the MM was at 20%, which was about 6600 miles. Blackstone thinks I should go back to my former practice of changing at 4K to 5K miles. I certainly should change it before the weather in Chicago gets cold. Lots of short trips in cold weather recently. Otherwise, typical suburban driving with a 200 mile round trip once in a while. The oil was in there from July to January, so it took about 7 months to accumulate 6600 miles. The oil itself seems to be in reasonable condition, just unusual wear numbers.
Dave

Wouldn't worry at this point. Need to see more data points IMHO. Might consider a magnetic drain plug next OCI. If metals are high again at next OCI, then I might consider switching oil brands then go from there.

Last edited:
I would switch to a 5w30/0w30 since it seems to be at the low end of the viscosity range from fuel dilution and perhaps some other factor. I've ran 5w30 in my wife's 2006 Pilot for the last 6 years.

Does this engine have cylinder deactivation?

I run 5w-30 in my `06 Odyssey and all is well. I have cylinder deactivation. 137,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The cold operation maybe the cause of the high iron numbers.

That's my thought as well.
6600 miles in coming warmer season might see marginal lesser metal wear I guess.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
I would switch to a 5w30/0w30 since it seems to be at the low end of the viscosity range from fuel dilution and perhaps some other factor. I've ran 5w30 in my wife's 2006 Pilot for the last 6 years.

+1

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. Agree that XW-30 is the way to go. Dino with 3k changes or synthetic and go 4 or 5K? It has the VCM. Previous OCI was the same M1 5W-20

Originally Posted By: czbrian

Wondered about that too … barely in grade 20 ~ and fuel dilution called harmless …

Originally Posted By: dwgwater
Thanks for the comments and suggestion. Agree that XW-30 is the way to go. Dino with 3k changes or synthetic and go 4 or 5K? It has the VCM. Previous OCI was the same M1 5W-20

If you still want a 20 … M1 EP 0w20 has more PAO and might stay in grade better …
My new 5.3L is whisper quiet on that stuff …

I know what I would do! You can read all about it here, and like I mentioned in this thread, these higher than average wear metal readings/UOAs using Mobil-1 oils were enough for me to switch over years ago.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4654336/1

Thanks for the input BITOGers. Very helpful. One of the reasons I had a UOA with TBN done was to see whether I could trust the Maintenance Minder, since it appears to have been re-calibrated. For most of this car's life the MM had wanted me to go to close to 10K miles, which was too far for me to be comfortable. Too many stories about Honda VCM engines having serious issues. My take has always been that there was nothing inherently wrong with the VCM system, but that the vehicle needs more frequent oil changes than the MM was calling for. That 2nd gen Pilot is hard on oil: it burns lots of fuel (almost twice what an Accord does with the same V6 engine), its heavy and has the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood, so even at highway cruise, its got a load on it. I had been changing the oil at 50% on the MM, which was typically 5K miles +/-. I'd noticed that the interval had dropped to about 3.5K miles to get to 50% and that seemed to be a pretty short OCI. So I ran it down to 20% on the MM which amounted to 6,600 miles. Without getting into oil brand issues or worrying too much about a few dozen PPM of certain metals, it seems to me that given the cold weather and short trips, the UOA is telling me that the oil is on its way south. Still serviceable, but past its prime at 6600 miles. I think that engine needs good oil in it more than most, whether because of the VCM or because the Pilot works the engine harder than other Hondas with the V6. My takeaway is that if I change the oil around Thanksgiving and Memorial Day, I'll have fresh oil at the top of its performance going into the nasty cold months and get the beat up winter oil out before the summer heat arrives. I may be dumping oil that has some life left in it, but I won't be crawling around on the ground changing oil in January or February in Chicago. That's worth the price of a jug of oil. Since I won't be pushing the OCI, I could probably get by with one of the cheaper syns, but I hate to open that can of worms.

Thanks for the input BITOGers. Very helpful. One of the reasons I had a UOA with TBN done was to see whether I could trust the Maintenance Minder, since it appears to have been re-calibrated. For most of this car's life the MM had wanted me to go to close to 10K miles, which was too far for me to be comfortable. Too many stories about Honda VCM engines having serious issues. My take has always been that there was nothing inherently wrong with the VCM system, but that the vehicle needs more frequent oil changes than the MM was calling for. That 2nd gen Pilot is hard on oil: it burns lots of fuel (almost twice what an Accord does with the same V6 engine), its heavy and has the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood, so even at highway cruise, its got a load on it. I had been changing the oil at 50% on the MM, which was typically 5K miles +/-. I'd noticed that the interval had dropped to about 3.5K miles to get to 50% and that seemed to be a pretty short OCI. So I ran it down to 20% on the MM which amounted to 6,600 miles. Without getting into oil brand issues or worrying too much about a few dozen PPM of certain metals, it seems to me that given the cold weather and short trips, the UOA is telling me that the oil is on its way south. Still serviceable, but past its prime at 6600 miles. I think that engine needs good oil in it more than most, whether because of the VCM or because the Pilot works the engine harder than other Hondas with the V6. My takeaway is that if I change the oil around Thanksgiving and Memorial Day, I'll have fresh oil at the top of its performance going into the nasty cold months and get the beat up winter oil out before the summer heat arrives. I may be dumping oil that has some life left in it, but I won't be crawling around on the ground changing oil in January or February in Chicago. That's worth the price of a jug of oil. Since I won't be pushing the OCI, I could probably get by with one of the cheaper syns, but I hate to open that can of worms.

As another suggested, I'd try M1 EP 0w-20, which is a majority PAO lube and may hold up better in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back