Toyota A750E/F Do-It-Yourself Transmission Flush

If you have a Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/Sequoia/Tundra/FJ Cruiser with the Aisin-Warner A750E (2WD) or A750F (4x4) automatic transmission, here's a great, informative post over on the Tacoma World forum on how to do a full transmission fluid exchange yourself, without any special fluid exchange machines or tools.

I used this exact post to perform a transmission fluid exchange for the first time on my Tacoma back in 2012 when my truck had 101,000 miles. I now have over 198,000 miles, so it's time to start thinking about doing it again.

I use the OEM fluid (Toyota WS), and, last time, the dealership parts dept. clerk gave me a little deal on the 15 quarts of fluid I bought (10% off), just by asking if he'd be willing to do a little better on the price since I was buying 15 quarts. Just checked with my local dealer, North Nashville Toyota, just across the street, and the parts dude at the counter said he would do 10% off.

For those who aren't aware, this transmission doesn't have a dipstick, which makes it slightly more complicated, but it's still pretty easy. User Mountain Lion on the Tacoma World forum gives very easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, which are idiot-proof.

Anyway, I know there are quite a few folks here who have these vehicles, so, I figured I'd share something that has helped me.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-...-9#post-7762315

Last edited:
Not sure I'd want to use that hand operated lift pump to move quarts and quarts of oil.

On mine I found a 5/8" (ID? OD? I simply bought several feet of different sizes) clear PVC tubing fit into the fill port; I snaked a hose up into the engine compartment and shoved on a funnel for filling. Let gravity do some work for me, for once.

I have one of these trans but just do a drain/fill every 50k. The drain/fill while cold changes out a 1/3 to 1/4 of the system capacity.

I did the first drain/fill at 6k miles and the fluid was just ever slightly darker than fresh. I did another drain/fill at 20K and the fluid that came out looked brand new, so I think that first change was more beneficial than the subsequent one.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

For those who aren't aware, this transmission doesn't have a dipstick, ....... easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, which are idiot-proof.

I do not own one of these transmissions,
but I am going to read just for curiosity/educational purposes!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

For those who aren't aware, this transmission doesn't have a dipstick, ....... easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, which are idiot-proof.

I do not own one of these transmissions,
but I am going to read just for curiosity/educational purposes!

Zackerly why these threads are great.

WS or Type IV for my 2014 Taco Prerunner 4.0L V6? ALLDATA says Type IV and looks like screenshot of the FSM. Specs for the A750E transmission, Yuotube and the tacomaworld link says WS.

Originally Posted by anndel
WS or Type IV for my 2014 Taco Prerunner 4.0L V6? ALLDATA says Type IV and looks like screenshot of the FSM. Specs for the A750E transmission, Yuotube and the tacomaworld link says WS.

4 speed is type IV and 5 speed (A750E) is WS. Or just use Maxlife which works well in place of both types.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY

4 speed is type IV and 5 speed (A750E) is WS. Or just use Maxlife which works well in place of both types.
[Linked Image]

Thanks very much!

I used WS both times I did it, and my 2007 Taco with the V6 and A750E is still running great at 228,800 miles!

First off for a full flush you need no more than 10Q and return line flush is the way to go.

On a dead cold car this is what I have done with remarkable results
Remove drain bolt and pipe and drain pan. Once drained put back the pipe and drain bolt.
Fill new ATF for what was drained back through the fill plug on the side of transmission.
Remove return line and run vehicle until nothing comes off the transmission. Stop car.
Refill again and start car and this time move the gears till nothing comes out. Stop car.

Measure all the ATF vs. filled ATF. The final fill will be the difference of the drained and filled ATF.

Bring the car level and bring the temp to 105-115 degrees and remove drain bolt to remove excess (having the Toyota diagnostic s/w helps which is relatively cheap to buy from a good vendor, I bought one from eBay and it was a nightmare to get it work).

When I did my 15 Tacoma I used Amsoil Universal blue cap. Before that I used Maxlife ATF. Since then I added a deep pan which gave me 2.5-3 qrts of additional fluid.

Use the AW mutil-vehicle ATF. It doesn't have a Toyota approval but it's the OE for the transmission and it's recommended by AW.

Back