Using NiCopp for an oil filtration system line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1952 Chevy DeLuxe with the external add-on oil filtration system. It is mounted to the engine, and is plumbed using what appears to be 5/16" steel brake line.

One of the steel brake lines has developed a leak at a 90 degree bend. I would assume that the bend stressed the line, and some 50 years later, it has given up.

The existing lines are steel. Now, the material of choice at AAP/AZ/NAPA appears to be NiCopp, as that is what they stock.

Is there any issue with using NiCopp for an application like this? There shouldn't be any movement, as everything is mounted to the engine. The only issue would be with vibration from the engine itself.

NiCopp would work great for that. The only reason to use steel would be for antique authenticity.

Heh heh. If you hadn't tightened up the connection at the basket hard enough to stop the persistent weep that ran down and coated the line with oil and dirt for 60 yrs or so, you wouldn't need to change it
grin2.gif

i bought some NICopp. used only a little. it works like steal. but when i clamped it with the clamping block it would crush very easy. best to be willing to wast some to learn how to make it work. it will NOT rust. be sure to double flare it like steal.

It has been years but there used to be premade flexible lines made up for the industrial engines that used Bypass filters instead of full flow.

There should be no issue, they used copper tubing OE for mechanical gauges back in those days. Putting a coil in the copper line is an old school way of preventing breakage. Or find a Parker store and let them make something for you out of steel or SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back