How old are these quarts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is the wrong forum, please let me know. I didn't see one devoted to antiques or collectibles. I was down at the family business (a newspaper/print shop) and happened to see these quarts of oil underneath an old press that hasn't been used in at least a couple of decades. Is the number in the 3rd pic saying it was made in July 1981? I sort of figured they'd be older. What do you think? My apologies if they are flipped horizontally. They are vertical on my computer, but for some reason they look like they are going to upload horizontal. :-(

Looks to be cardboard not metal..so early 80s.

Similar one on ebay sold for $25 plus $10 shipping.

Wow. That much? There were like 5-6 quarts down there. Maybe I need to ask my aunt if I can have them. :)

The can could have been printed/ designed in 7/81 then filled years later.

API SF goes from 1979 to 1988, so, that's of little use.

UPCs were out back then but this can could have been part of a case or sold through gas stations and for whatever reason not tagged.

I'm guessing early 80s.
If you want to keep them forever, poke a hole in the bottom of the can and let them drain out and rinse them. Otherwise, someday, somebody will drop them or bump them and they will start to leak.

Sell them to collectors. You wanna run some SAE 30 HD, go to TSC and buy it by the jug
laugh.gif

If you want to have fun, find one of the old piercing oil spouts and see if you can seat it into the top of the can without the side crushing and making a giant mess. Yes, I'm old enough to remember doing that......

I'm 45, so I remember seeing cans of oil at the full service gas station when I was a kid. I also remember them from the movie "The Jerk" :)

In 1981 I would've been 9 years old. I didn't start changing the oil in my own car until I was 22 or so, so all I've ever used are the modern plastic containers.

I remember using the spout on Havoline cardboard cans just like those. If you pierced it just so with a bit of a wiggle you could get the spout set without leaking. Buying cans that were not damaged or already leaking was the bigger problem.

If you keep them and I’d might keep a couple if you are selling, keep them in some sort of containment. Eventually they will leak and the mess will be a bugger.

I would think about keeping maybe the two in best condition and hide them for another time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back