What's with the perpetual new brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Corolla has 330K miles, so when I buy tires it's usually tires that are in the lower price ranges, and I always get them at Discount Tire. I have noticed over the last several years, when I've gone to their site to look at tires, there are always several new brands I've never heard of. I remember when Kumho was new, then came Ohtsu, and this morning Sentury, Arizonian, and Road Hugger are now brands on the site. I'm wondering if these actually are new companies, or are they the same ones from before just rotating company names. I can't really see a logical reason for either.

1) I don't know.

2) If allowed guesses I would say:
a.) ANY manufacturer will try any wrinkle in order to find a marketing niche. Call it the "Perfume gamble". The right name (or some other identifier) can launch a product to prominence. I'd guess renaming a tire is no big expense. Also, fabricating names for additional product lines protects the big, old, established company brand.

b.) Tires come in so many sizes there'd have to be times when a particular size mold sits idle. This capital being put to use making "off brand" tires is smart.
Whether the consumer reaps any of that benefit is TBD.

What you are seeing is most likely a private label brand made by other tire companies...maybe not!

Cooper is a large maker of private label tires and their site may in fact show some of the private label brands of the tire you mentioned. Stay with the better tires known here at Bob's, even the le$$er expen$ive tire$ such as Hankook, Kumho, General(RT43)
smile.gif

Just an observation, I remember Ohtsu tires on my Honda ATC three wheeler from the 70's. I think at least for them, they may have only recently started importing auto tires to the US, after being in the tire business for many years.

I don't know but of the tires you mentioned I too notice the Ohtsu popped up no to long ago. Me I would pass on them because I don't go for the cheapest price (Ohtsu came up first and lowest price for the couple vehicles I looked up for tires at DT), and if I remember correctly they are a Chinese tire. Fuzion is another one.
The Arizonian is I believe one of DT house brands by (I believe) Cooper. The Arizonian has expanded to the Arizonian Silver Edition III. Still DT house brand. I ran the Arizonian Silver Edition III on an older Camry knowing we would no longer have that car within a year. No issues with those tires, and in fact instead of selling that car I ended up giving it to a grand daughter and she has put some miles on them with no issues. I'd guess maybe 35k on them and she recently had them rotated at DT and no mention (to me) that she needed new tires yet. I had only put those on because plans on letting the car go. And the day DT put them on, they say if we don't like them within 30 day bring them back and get our money back, but I still need to drive any with something on the car.
The Sentury & Road Hugger it seems I've seen on vehicles for some time, I think.

If there was a tire brand new to the market and DT sells them, I'd be inclined not to buy them not knowing anything about them. Let consumers post reviews and check for reviews from the likes of CR, Tire Rack. Give them time on the market to see what folks say.

My preference is not to buy cheap, go somewhere middle of the road on up on known tires with decent reviews. But also you will find many folks (threads) happy with cheap price tires. If I was on a limited budget then perhaps I'd consider, but not try and push safety aside for the road/weather conditions or to save a few bucks.

On a side note, I've bought near top priced tires and wasn't as happy with them as I thought I would be.

Another side note, DT house Yokohama YK740 GTX, currently knowing about a half dozen vehicles running them (including my wife, all short in town driving) and all very happy with them. Sized from a Prius to large SUV.

Many of them are not new brands. They exist in other markets. They are new to the US market.

Many of them are value brands of an existing brand.

a new brand would be Laufenn, which was created by Hankook not too long ago, to be a value sub-brand.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Many of them are value brands of an existing brand.

a new brand would be Laufenn, which was created by Hankook not too long ago, to be a value sub-brand.

Speaking of Laufenn, I was just looking at their web site and the marketing description/material got me to thinking this could be a well constructed tire. Then I saw the same tire was tested by Tire Rack and it didn't measure up. I have now removed Laufenn from my list of brands that I would consider.

I got a set of four Barum Bravuris from DTD for $99 in 215/55/16 size! They had the XL load rating and were all around awesome! I had never heard of them but then found out they were a Continental sub-brand.

I think if you don't go very cheap you'll be fine.

The reason is dealers and price protection plans-- everyone offers them so the wholesaler does the retailer a favor and makes a semi-private label tire. Mattresses and TVs are sold this way too.

The Champiro snow tires I bought from DTD are exactly the same as some other brand sold at the regional chain VIP. I feel good knowing I can buy an identical replacement if I ever had to.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The Champiro snow tires I bought from DTD are exactly the same as some other brand sold at the regional chain VIP. I feel good knowing I can buy an identical replacement if I ever had to.

[off-topic]
You managed to find them in stock? The locations around me where out months ago...
[/off-topic]

I have some Nexen Winguard sport winter tires . Didn't appear in DT's list/manufacturers...

Fuzion tires are pretty decent. Made by Bridgestone.

Have them on the summer wheels of our '14 Civic.

I know a lot of people say they stay away from the cheap Chinese (or wherever they're coming from) brands, but I have to say, I've run quite a few of them on my Corolla, and they don't seem to be any worse than any of the name brand tires I've had in the past. They all seem to perform well, and they usually last for their mileage ratings or longer. I've had the occasional one here and there that I've had to replace because its develop a "thump", but I've had to do this with name brand tires too. In fact, with EVERY set of Goodyears I've had, at least one of the tires in the set has developed the "thump." I usually check the reviews and look for an aggressive tread pattern with a lot of sipes for good winter traction. It seems to be working...this time I went with a set of Hankooks...

Last edited:
My new to me 2013 Accord has Ironman H rated tires, a sub-brand of Hercules Tire, which was purchased by Cooper Tire during the past year or two. They seem as good as any mid-priced all-season tire, and they sell for $85 in size 205/65HR/16. Mine were made in Thailand.

I've never been burned by private label tires, going back to the old Remington and Centennial brands.

Arizonian and Barum have been at DT for a while.
I think they may be their store brand.

I remember I bought Arizonian tires for Camry in the late 80s from DT.

Arizonan and Road Hugger are DT/America's Tire house brands, and Goodyear made them in the past. Ohtsu is one Sumitomo brand besides Falken/Doral and Dunlop(US/Japan).

Look at tires on the vehicles next to you at stop lights.

Cheap cars that look poorly maintained have no-name or lots of Asian branded tires.

Higher end vehicles that look well-maintained have Michelin, Toyo and BFG on them.

Just my observation.

Originally Posted By: grampi
this time I went with a set of Hankooks...

Which ones? I had Hankooks on the Matrix prior to the current ones. I bought them from DTD and they lasted 65k miles.

cheng shen and unicorn is the two brands i would avoid. i have had good luck with nankang and sunfull tires they seem to hold up well and give a good ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back