Oil streak - brown streak in amber color oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the oil after the car had been sitting over-night (i.e. cold) and I see some oil streak of darker color.
The oil is amber or darker amber but I see brown streak like a vane or hair line when I let it drip from the dipstick.

I never noticed this before since with previous oil (dino) changes, it would get dirty relatively quickly.
This time I used Pennzoil Platinum d1g2 full synthetic 5W-30
2500 miles since oil change.
ambient temp after car cooled down was in mid 40F
engine: 2.4L DI 4 Cyl

are the streak additives or collected contaminants?
never noticed it with dino maybe since it got dirty quickly? idk

Not possible to tell without a picture, and probably not even then.

I've had ferrous metal settling out on my dipstick (though it was typically left longer than overnight). Best guess is it came from the cams

I believe it was ferrous metal because it looked like it, and because a magnetic pickup tool left in the dipstick hole seemed to collect quite a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
I checked the oil after the car had been sitting over-night (i.e. cold) and I see some oil streak of darker color.
The oil is amber or darker amber but I see brown streak like a vane or hair line when I let it drip from the dipstick.

I never noticed this before since with previous oil (dino) changes, it would get dirty relatively quickly.
This time I used Pennzoil Platinum d1g2 full synthetic 5W-30
2500 miles since oil change.
ambient temp after car cooled down was in mid 40F
engine: 2.4L DI 4 Cyl

are the streak additives or collected contaminants?
never noticed it with dino maybe since it got dirty quickly? idk

Keep an eye out for coolant level droppings, or fuel in the oil. Over-idling and too many real short trips innocently are excuses. Or there may be a mechanical issue starting to develop.

after reading some recent threads regarding "additive fallout" it made me wonder if that's what I saw ...
I didn't notice any fallout in the bottle but I wasn't looking for one either ...
looks like the additives may? mix in when the car is warm but then they regroup ... lol

btw, I am just curious and this is NOT going to change my mind regarding PP. I have used their dino versions for decades and when I used to work 50+ hrs a week I used to take the cars to Pennzoil quick lube places. I now buy what is on sale and if I see a good brand on sale I go for it. so far I really like the PP in this car.

it could be ferrous as suggested? and coolant level is not decreasing and i don't smell any fuel. as a matter of fact the oil is passing my smell/touch/color test after 6K miles ... pretty impressed so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back