'07 Toyota 4Runner, 4.0L V6, Amsoil SSO 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my project vehicle bought last year with 164K miles and a spotty OCI history averaging around 25K miles...chronic P0016 bank 1 intake cam position correlation error code and visibly elongated main timing chain. I've put nearly 10K miles on it thus far with short OCIs of QSUD 5W-30, most recently filled with Amsoil SSO 0W-30 and 15oz of LubeGuard moly additive. Goal is to reduce the sludge before I open it up to replace the timing set and clean the oil sump this Summer, so the new parts aren't bathed in old gunk.

I pulled a sample at ~3700 miles and sent to Blackstone, also changed and cut the Toyota filter as shown in the pic. Bear in mind this filter mounts upside down on top of the engine, the sludge seems to adhere to the steel can wherever it lands.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Put some MMO in it and it'll clean faster.

The two oil changes prior to current fill, I added 6oz of MMO approximately 100 miles prior to draining. I'll do the same this time, maybe a bit sooner than the last 100 miles. My reasoning for not running MMO longer is the oil sump...the drain plug bung extends ~2mm upward into the pan, creating a dam that prevents complete drainage of the pan contents. I presume that ~2mm pool is accumulated sludge particles waiting to clog the oil pickup...similar to this video of an FJ Cruiser with same sump after a flush with ATF and Sea Foam:

FJ Cruiser Oil Sump Sludge

This is what poured out of the filter canister, strained through a coffee filter all week. No bits attracted to my magnet when I dragged thru the liquid tar or across the dried sludge.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Looking forward to an update on the next oil change...it'll be interesting to see how well it cleans up.

Yup, likely 1 or 2 more oil changes before I open up the engine to replace the timing chains, guides, & sprockets this Summer.

I would think some of the sludge would show up on his UOA as more wear, but this UOA doesn't look to bad other than slightly higher Al. With all the junk coming out, is there anything in his UOA that would indicate a sludge issue?

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
I would think some of the sludge would show up on his UOA as more wear, but this UOA doesn't look to bad other than slightly higher Al. With all the junk coming out, is there anything in his UOA that would indicate a sludge issue?

Not that I can see. The engine isn't throwing off abnormal metal quantities, and I was surprised the "Insolubles" number was so low given the specks of sludge I saw in the vacuum pump cup when drawing the specimen.

This UOA was a data point I wanted to collect before deciding whether to replace the timing components in place versus swapping a used engine. I've ordered the ~$500 in timing chains, guides, tensioners, and sprockets for the big project this Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back