Purolator PSL20195 @ ~4k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
On a Saturn 1.9 liter DOHC for about 3.5 months. Just a bit over 4k miles. Usual issue with ADBV. Lot of oil drained from the filter after punching the end of the can so I reckon it was still doing its job despite the slits.

Mine is thirsty. Not too bad compared to many. That OCI it used oil at a rate of about 1700 miles per quart. Interval was between 179k miles and 183k miles. Initial oil was Valvoline Next Gen Maxlife High Mileage 5w-30. Topped off by a can of MOS2, the rest of the jug of Valvoline, about 5 or 6 ounces of MotorKote, and some random drippings in a bottle and a pint of Valvoline Next Gen Maxlife High Mileage 10w-40.

Mine used to burn a quart every 1000 miles. I've used MMO and a few short OCIs to clean up some sludge, especially around the rings. Now it's down to about a half quart every 1000 miles. However, it started leaking more recently. I think it is from cleaning sludge from around the timing chain cover gasket lol. It has 165,000 miles. The leaking isn't bad enough for it to go down on the dipstick though.

As long as it is above 1k miles per quart, no worries, just regularly check the dipstick and peruse the sales forum here on BITOG

That is the old PSL filter. The newer Boss filter replaced it. That thing was made 3 years ago. You must have a stash of filters you picked up on clearance.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Old design filters new ones are so much better

How so?

Media seems to be the same between the PSL and Boss, both are silicone ADV (and both apparently have issues with slits/tears/cuts in them). The PSL is a metal mesh backed filter, the Boss is a nylon mesh.

I would not buy either of them (but do have a PSL I was given that I will use).

The Boss uses the Mann full synthetic fleece filter media with a synthetic mesh behind it. It was a new product after Mann bought Purolator.

The wire backed PSL series filters were rated 99% efficient @ 25 microns per ISO 4548-12.

I don't think I've seen an ISO 4548-12 figure on the Boss that approaches that level.

Last edited:
Boss ... 99% @ 40 microns per "Purolator Response Office" - LINK

I see they still haven't added any microns sizes associated with the "dirt removal power" on their website.

The Bat Cave data I find most credible as I'm confident the Batman of BITOG used ISO 4548-12 method even if not specifically stated. Didn't remember the figures off the top of my head.

So, nowhere do I really see the current series of Purolator brand filters being superior to the prior series of Purolator brand filters, unlike Ram02.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
On a Saturn 1.9 liter DOHC for about 3.5 months. Just a bit over 4k miles. Usual issue with ADBV. Lot of oil drained from the filter after punching the end of the can so I reckon it was still doing its job despite the slits.

That filter cartridge is an excellent example of what one should look like.
The ADBV is even more impressive. Even with the slits in it, it still worked fine. What an awesome oil filter!
Thanks for the C&P of such a great oil filter.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back