08 Fusion AWD driveshaft replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my daughter's car started making a drivetrain noise and after some research and crawling under the car and pushing on the driveshaft I believe it is a carrier bearing on the 3 piece driveshaft that can't be greased. Does anyone know if that driveshaft will slide out the rear of the car without taking down the exhaust? It looks like I might be able to get it out but before attempting it I thought I would ask here. Anyone have any pointers or experience replacing one of these? I ordered a two piece greasable axle from Detroit Axle to replace the bad one. Thanks, Scott

Factory info says disconnect the flex pipe up front and dangle the exhaust for removal. You can try sneaking it out, might work might not.

Unhooked driver's side rubber hanger on exhaust and removed/installed the driveshaft by having my daughter push the exhaust towards passenger side and sliding the driveshaft out towards the front of the car. Took us about 90 minutes from start to finish. She was a little nervous laying under the car and trusting the 4 jack stands but she braved it out!

Next time you need to move the exhaust, wrap a piece of clothesline, etc, around it, Pull exhaust aside and close the rope in the door. OTOH, teaching car maintenance awareness to a child is a good idea too. Good parenting
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back