How is the Fiat 500L 1.4T DCT in reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to be available at good prices with low miles and a panoramic sunroof, but Fiat does have a bad reputation. It uses the same 1.4T and DCT from the Dart, 500 Abarth, Renegade, and some others. Is the 500L any good in terms of reliability?

Amalie makes a good DCT at a low price when purchased by the case, so a fluid change every year wouldn't be too bad, as long as it has a drain plug.

Dual Clutch Transmission, not for me. There are all kind of horror stories about DCTs. Ford, Hyundai, Fiat/Chrysler, Alfa Romeo and so forth. My dad had a 2012 Focus, that tranny was awful. If it had been equipped with a conventional fluid drive automatic, it would have been perfect. He kept it a year and traded for a 2014 KIA Forte.

Last edited:
I'm unsure when they made the change, but I know the 2017's didn't come with the 9-speed ZF transmission that people complain about. The 2017, I believe, came with an 6-speed made by Asin which must be OK, because nobody talks about it. The 1.4 turbo engine has a reputation for being pretty reliable. When you hear about problems with Fiats it's usually the Chrysler built stuff (like the 2.4 liter normally aspirated engine).

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They seem to be available at good prices with low miles and a panoramic sunroof, but Fiat does have a bad reputation. It uses the same 1.4T and DCT from the Dart, 500 Abarth, Renegade, and some others. Is the 500L any good in terms of reliability?

Amalie makes a good DCT at a low price when purchased by the case, so a fluid change every year wouldn't be too bad, as long as it has a drain plug.

Not very good. We had few at work and nothing but problems. Just my two cents

The DCT, DSG, and PDK transmissions work pretty well, although with respect to the DCT I still prefer either the 8HP or six speed manual. I have several friends with 500 Abarths and they really haven't had any issues with them. If I wanted a small FWD buzz bomb I'd seriously consider one.

Assuming FIAT has experienced a renaissance in product reliability in the last few years, it's probably average.

If they haven't, it's the European equivalent of Chrysler (North America) or Nissan (Japanese). In other words, not so good.

Like those other brands, it's not so much that the cars are unreliable, it's the fact that there is no consistency. You can buy a perfectly good FIAT and you can buy one that just refuses to remain out of the shop, and the latter is more common than other brands, which are not immune to the situation, but have more examples in the good side and fewer in the bad.

Originally Posted By: MSTUEBER
I have a 2017 Fiat Spider 124 with 1.4 L turbo. Great car and no problems at all.

Your car was made my Mazda in Japan at the Hiroshima factory. Not the same thing as a FIAT-built 500.

Yeah, Consumer Reports has several videos on FIAT vehicles. Some are with the cars themselves and other videos are just discussions(talking cars with consumer reports). And they have no passion for car companies that are replacing engines as if it's the 1970's. Poor reliability, poor customer satisfaction and poor manufacture & dealer support. I believe that FIAT's are among CRs lowest rated vehicles.

I've sat in several new FIAT's and I kind'a like'em! I drove a 500L and it was kind'a nice. Comfortable(for me), good view outward, peppy, crisp and a bit of fun. Too bad they have such a deserved reputation 'cause, I wouldn't mind driving one on a daily basis(kind'a)! I didn't spend a lot of time in the 500L so, I can't really speak as if I would actually put my money down on one but, based on reliability, NO WAY!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

the worlds worse auto mfg in terms of reliability....you should buy one there are great deals to be had.
grin.gif

I just want to say you shouod never trust consumer reports for anything. They SUCK.

You're depending upon the average member of society to tell you about the mechanical workings of their vehicle.

Originally Posted By: MSTUEBER
I have a 2017 Fiat Spider 124 with 1.4 L turbo. Great car and no problems at all.

That's a rebadged Miata, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back