Load ratings, 107 vs 112

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new tires for the LR3. Right now, it has Nitto Terra Grapplers, 255/60/18, 112V rating. The tire I want is a Hankook Dynapro ATM but it's a 107T. Would that be an issue?

Hard to find all terrains in that size.

Tire shops will not install a lower load index than what originally came with the car. It simply won't be able to carry as much weight as the correct load rated tire.

Do you like the Terra Grapplers?
smile.gif

107 is 2149lbs per tire. Personally I feel pretty good when 1 axle is enough to drive on with my normal load in a car...
I never drive at 85 mph through death valley though, so YMMV. It is a huge down grade in tire load capability for sure, but I think if you are still very under loaded, and don't drive fast, it shouldn't be a significant increase in risk.
If you do like to run 85mph in the summer towing your boat with the car stuffed to the gills then keep with the higher load rating for sure.

Absolutely love them, this is the second set I've had on it (4th set I've ran overall). Now they have G2s but they don't make them in my size anymore and I'm not sure if I can even get the old ones anymore...

I just saw that...I might call them and ask how old the stock might be/if they are still making them. It wouldn't be fun to get a set that's the same age as what's on it nor would it be fun if I had to replace one down the road and couldn't get them.

I will stick with 112V, it's not worth the safety to downgrade. Not that I tow or anything, but I don't want to take away from its ability to.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:
Do NOT get scorpions. Those tires are absolute garbage.

Do a Google search for all the Ford guys that chucked them within 6 months of buying a brand new truck.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent

Do a Google search for all the Ford guys that chucked them within 6 months of buying a brand new truck.

I don't doubt your assertion, but people who "chuck" tires within 6 months of buying a brand new truck usually are going "jacked up and keeping it country". I'm not sure that is really the crowd I want to follow when buying sensible sized tires.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I just saw that...I might call them and ask how old the stock might be/if they are still making them. It wouldn't be fun to get a set that's the same age as what's on it nor would it be fun if I had to replace one down the road and couldn't get them.

I will stick with 112V, it's not worth the safety to downgrade. Not that I tow or anything, but I don't want to take away from its ability to.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Nitto has the both the original Terra Grappler and the G2 listed on their website, so I would assume they're still making them. It appears that most sizes have moved to the G2, but 255/60/18 is one of just a few still made in the original Terra Grappler.

Also, they do make the G2 in 265/60/18, which would be a very minimal size difference. They have a higher load rating and are actually a bit cheaper.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-terra-grappler-g2/p/29648

I was noticing all the bad reviews were written by people with F150s...I was wondering if the OEM ones were a different compound to meet a price point. The other reviews seemed more positive.

I did look at the Generals but I think it's kind of an old design. I am going to make sure the Nittos aren't being made anymore before ruling them out.

Speed rating is also lower than required.
You may have issues of liability in event of an accident using under specification tyres. You could fail a roadside inspection. It must based on OE spec and not just vehicles top speed and maximum weight.

IMHO its not just about maximum load or top speeds, but having a tyre that can stop and avoid danger without damage, overheating on your vehicle.

Really?

I drove a clients Range Rover Sport for a while and I thought they were a decent tyre.

This was in 20 inch rims if memory serves correctly.

The tire I want is a Hankook Dynapro ATM but it's a 107T. Would that be an issue?

I won't get into the hypothetical situations espoused, but will say that I've had no issue getting whatever I wanted mounted locally (that deviated from OE fitment); it's just on you to use your noggin'.

Your LR3 has a top speed of 121 MPH. V-speed rating of 149 MPH is just slightly excessive, and limits other aspects of tire performance that'd be desirable in a large off-road SUV.

FYI, the 19" option (Goodyear Wrangler HP) was 111V.

The Touareg at that time (higher top speed, same 7700 tow rating, 5000+ curb weight as well) was shod with 106H. That's a service description that makes sense.

OEM is 112V I think.

Not recommended to go lower than the OE load rating. Here in Ontario, Canada, it is illegal and any legit shop won't install them.

Agreed. I have never seen a set of them wear evenly. They get horrifically loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back