Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I usually get one good cold per year, even though I'm required to get a flu shot. This year I'm on my third cold. Not only that, but I've had two big mammer jammmers in the past two weeks! Stomach flu last week and regular cold/something this week. I've had little appetite and lost somewhere around 10# in the past few weeks. I haven't had anything to eat today yet, though I did have some coffee and plenty of water.

Anyone else hit hard this year? I'm looking to hear what you guys have been through and how you get through illnesses. I'm not looking for advice, but please feel free to post anything you want, even if you rarely get sick and want to share why you think that is.

Lastly, I want to thank a lot of you on this site for keeping me from overwhelming boredom - I've surfed the web at home more now than any other time in my life, I think. I don't really feel well enough to play video games (nausea), which is my usual escape during sick days, but reading and learning has helped a lot.

I thought the cure for nausea is to take your Subaru for a "spin"?
kidding, bad joke.

I would hold on the coffee and get some lighter tea. (also visit the tea threads to see what the purists are consuming).
I would chew on some lemon peel. Don't get the juice yet unless your stomach bug is gone.

Honey could be good.
you need probiotics, but yogurt/dairy may be too early.

some hot/warm shower/bath + some hot salty water for feet and hands.
warm socks. 3 pairs.
check your drawers and see if you have any oils: mint, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, citrus just to see if they clear your sinuses.
also if you have a humidifier, use it.
Pot on the stove could supplement, but YOU NEED TO SURVEY it as an anti-fire-department-visit-counter-measure...

chicken soup, hot , salty and spicy could be good.

my family pretty much doesn't consume any cold drinks when recovering-from-cold.

veggies and fruits (vitamin C)

you can have fun cutting then in various forms;
you can say you are eating "vegetarian nuggets"

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have had one cold in the past several years. I don't touch my face, old my breath when someone coughs or sneezes near me and slowly exhale as I walk away, wash my hands first thing when I get home and again, I don't touch my face.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/avoid-colds-and-flus-by-not-touching-your-face-1.1177922

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/prevent-flu-dont-be-touchy

That's one thing I do a lot of - touch my face. When I'm thinking or nervous I stroke my chin and run my fingers through my hair. I'm not sure I could go more than an hour without doing so, to be honest. I guess I'll have to try a little harder.

I've also got allergies, and tend to rub my eyes frequently, even though I try to make sure my hands are clean. I feel like this may be a way worse habit.

I was getting a bad cold or two a year (so bad I'd need to call in sick from work). I would be flat out on the couch all day long. Started taking vitamin C at least 2000 milligrams several times a week. I have gotten smaller colds since then, but have not had to call in sick since I've been doing this for several years now. I know the scientific studies will say taking Vitamin C doesn't do anything for a cold, but my personal experience would indicate otherwise. Maybe I'm just an outlier, maybe the minor colds I get would still be counted as one by the researchers. All I know is that I haven't gotten a bad cold since I've been taking Vitamin C for several years now.

Down with something now.
The pain is unreal. Comes for a few hours and then goes. Headache. Runny nose.
Temp goes from 98 to 102 and down again within bourse.
I got the flu shot.
Not going to the doctor as there isnt much for them to do.
Seriously the pain is unreal. Wife has it too. We think the germ monger seven year old brought something home.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
That's one thing I do a lot of - touch my face. When I'm thinking or nervous I stroke my chin and run my fingers through my hair. I'm not sure I could go more than an hour without doing so, to be honest. I guess I'll have to try a little harder.

Gallon recipient of disinfectant next to you?
Or buy a big box of smaller recipients and have them everywhere?

P.S. My daughter had the same thing with touching face and nose. Guess what, long hair just add to it....

Last edited:
paulri,

I think there's something to that. When I eat healthier (including tons of fruit) I find that the duration of my colds are reduced and I feel better for the duration of my colds.

Unfortunately, I had gut surgery almost a decade ago and when I get sick my appetite usually suffers greatly. Great for a quick "diet", since I usually lose weight when I'm under the weather, but not good for my health, obviously. Like most things in life, I know what I SHOULD do, but what I should do and actually do usually don't align, especially when I'm feeling awful.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Down with something now.
The pain is unreal. Comes for a few hours and then goes. Headache. Runny nose.
Temp goes from 98 to 102 and down again within bourse.
I got the flu shot.
Not going to the doctor as there isnt much for them to do.
Seriously the pain is unreal. Wife has it too. We think the germ monger seven year old brought something home.

I'm really sorry to hear that, brother. I'm feeling more achy and worn down now; hopefully almost through with this bout...

I don't remember the last time I threw up. Last week, with the stomach flu, I emptied my stomach and then kept dryheaving. I couldn't believe how painful it was - I was tearing up and whimpering like a baby! I don't know how people get drunk to the point of throwing up like that! It was awful!

I have a toddler myself. He puked on my wife twice the night before I got sick, so I'm pretty sure he's patient zero. They've gratefully been mostly OK since they both got the stomach bug. I'm the only one sick now, though my son is still complaining of an upset tummy.

I get the flu shot every year. I do not get the flu & have not had the flu even when not getting the flu shot in the past. I look at it as -- preventive maintenance. Look at the numbers of people who die yearly that do not get the flu shot compared to the ones who do get it. The flu has been really bad this year -- seems alot worse than other years. Just my 2 cents.

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Gallon recipient of disinfectant next to you?
Or buy a big box of smaller recipients and have them everywhere?

P.S. My daughter had the same thing with touching face and nose. Guess what, long hair just add to it....

When out in public I use the anti-bacterial cleaners. At home, I've simply kept to myself as much as possible. Unfortunately, my son often wants to, "lay down with daddy!" so we haven't had much option when we're both feeling off.

Unfortunately, I had gut surgery almost a decade ago and when I get sick my appetite usually suffers greatly. Great for a quick "diet", since I usually lose weight when I'm under the weather, but not good for my health, obviously. Like most things in life, I know what I SHOULD do, but what I should do and actually do usually don't align, especially when I'm feeling awful.

1 big jar of NUTella.
But I would recommend to eat it with a tiny teaspoon.
I like to enjoy the good things in life slowly.

Back to thread:
I got it at work (this year was not the kiddos and schools propagation).
1/2 day sick (flu starts with stomach bug). cured with spicy chinese rice takeout (supposedly, hot peppers and ground pepper have something helping with cough/cold)
got tired of the cold syrup (strange dreams) so bought the cold night+day pills from Costco,
also increased vitamins intake (whatever was in the cupboards)
drink a lot of tea (usually tea+lemon juice+honey)
I kept up with 1.5-2 liters of water + 1-2 cups of unsweetened tea + 1 can of nos energy drink per shift
and cough drops... lots of them

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
I get the flu shot every year. I do not get the flu & have not had the flu even when not getting the flu shot in the past. I look at it as -- preventive maintenance. Look at the numbers of people who die yearly that do not get the flu shot compared to the ones who do get it. The flu has been really bad this year -- seems alot worse than other years. Just my 2 cents.

Dale

I think you're right. A lot of coworkers are being knocked out this year, apparently.

I get the shot every year - required by USN. With Target offering $5 gift cards for getting the shot, I'd probably get it, anyway.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

1 big jar of NUTella.
But I would recommend to eat it with a tiny teaspoon.
I like to enjoy the good things in life slowly.

Back to thread:
I got it at work (this year was not the kiddos and schools propagation).
1/2 day sick (flu starts with stomach bug). cured with spicy chinese rice takeout (supposedly, hot peppers and ground pepper have something helping with cough/cold)
got tired of the cold syrup (strange dreams) so bought the cold night+day pills from Costco,
also increased vitamins intake (whatever was in the cupboards)
drink a lot of tea (usually tea+lemon juice+honey)
I kept up with 1.5-2 liters of water + 1-2 cups of unsweetened tea + 1 can of nos energy drink per shift
and cough drops... lots of them

I'm definitely not helping myself. We just moved and I can't find my multivitamins. I normally only take a multi when I'm working long hours at work and/or not eating as well as I should. I obviously should be taking one now, since I haven't been eating much, but I haven't. Not good - not helping...

I usually have stranger dreams when I'm sick. I've had some vivid, strange dreams lately. The kind where they're very lifelike and I have to ask my wife if we had conversations about certain things or if it was just a dream. I talk in my sleep while sick, too. When not sick, I rarely dream, actually.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Lots of vitamin C and D. If I feel something is coming down, I double the intake.

How much do you normally take? Because I typically arrive at work before the sun rises and leave after it sets during the winter, I take a Vit D supplement. Unfortunately, I haven't lately...

Sorry to drag it off topic, but the title is one of the best lines from this song.

Yep, I got smashed the last 9 months...not enough to miss work, but some pretty miserable weekends.

Vitamin C and sunshine are my usual go tos...them and a zapper.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Lots of vitamin C and D. If I feel something is coming down, I double the intake.

How much do you normally take? Because I typically arrive at work before the sun rises and leave after it sets during the winter, I take a Vit D supplement. Unfortunately, I haven't lately...

C-500mg a day, double or triple that when I feel something in my throat.
D-5000 IU, and double or triple when starting to feel something.

Do the best you can buddy. One day at a time. One foot in front of another.

And like you.... I really enjoy being on here. Reading, learning, and how to think about new concepts really helps me a lot as well. The past couple of years have been better since I have been on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back