Bead sealer needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mounting up a replacement spare tire by hand. Old tire came off alright gonna put the new tire on with dish soap and water. How necessary is bead sealer? I actually used a rubber dressing last time I did this and everything held air great. Just want to try the old school method this time.

I suppose it's "needed" if the bead leaks. A friend uses this stuff on the farm tires as they are old as are the wheels.

Nobody has ever mentioned cleaning and possibly buffing the bead seats so they are less corroded.

I think if you got the bead sealed your fine. Aluminum rims may need to be wire brushed if they are corroded. Should not count on bead sealer to get around corrosion.

Last edited:
I'd use it if it leaks. You can break the beads pretty easily and just goop it in the one-inch gap.

With the naked rim in front of you though is a great time to hit it with the wirebrush/ scotchbrite wheel/ sandpaper wheel/ etc and get it all shiny.

may also be good if you mount an old used tire and the bead rubber's harder. Supposedly the solvents revulcanize (melt) the rubber a bit.

I never use bead sealer with a new tire on wheel with clean bead seats like some tire shops do, and make a big mess out of it. You will never see bead sealer used on a factory wheel/tire either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back