couple questions on Tune it! (Canadian Supertech)

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a couple months, I'll be taking a couple day trips in to southern Ontario.(Mom is going on a trip with some of the "girls" she went to HS with(Class of '64). I take her to her Friends place somewhere in between London and Toronto, where they then go off on their trip, then I go back up ad get her 10 days later)

since i'll be in Canada and Knowing that you can get an 18.9l(5Gal) pail of Tune-It! oil for around $50, I Have a couple questions for our folks In Canada/or in the states living near the Border.

Firstly, is the "Tune-It!" Branded oil still re-refined oil like Canadian supertech was(from Saftey Kleen)?

Secondly, would I have any problem getting a 5 gal bucket of oil over the border, through US customs?
not planning on trying to smuggle anything, or have it look like I'm trying to, likely have it sitting in the back seat Foot well.

Whether it is made by safety kleen or is partly recycled wouldn't matter to me.
Call U.S. customs if you are concerned or put it in the trunk.

Isn't oil normally much cheap in your country? I think you have this smuggling thing all backwards. Not trying to offend you.

at the last price i saw, it was around $47.97($38.06USD)-ish for the bucket. let's call it $50($39.67USD)
that's $10($7.93USD)/Gallon, which is $2.50($1.98USD)/qt
even Store brand oil doesn't usually go that Cheap unless it's "on Sale"

and if the stuff I asked about ISN'T the re-refined stuff, I don't want it.

I would Love to use "recycled" oil. I was a fan of the Valvone Next Gen(or whatever they called it).
but in my neck of the woods, finding re-refined oil is nearly impossible for the average Joe.

There are only a couple shops that use it in the general area, both at least 30 miles from me, and they only offer it in a full service oil change.

I like doing things myself.

down here in the states, saftey kleen has no interest in selling oil to the general public, or mass market retailers. they are content to sell it to shops they already have disposal contracts to.

the one time i did find a shop that would sell me a jug of their oil. that shop charged me what they would have for an oil change for the 5 qt jug of oil, some where between $40-50 US....

Last edited:
No customs duty for Americans importing from Canada
smile.gif
08.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Looks to me that is the price for a bucket of conventional oil. How much is it in the States?

You don't normally see a 5 gal bucket of oil in the states. Especially not in a big box retailer....

It's still the same stuff as far as I know, and it shouldn't be a problem getting it over the border. Of course, the situation was different (it was obviously something done by the oil company in my case), but a few years back a pail of Delvac 1300 15w-40 I got from Imperial Oil had a U.S. Walmart price tag on it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's still the same stuff as far as I know, and it shouldn't be a problem getting it over the border. Of course, the situation was different (it was obviously something done by the oil company in my case), but a few years back a pail of Delvac 1300 15w-40 I got from Imperial Oil had a U.S. Walmart price tag on it.

yeah, the few times I have seen a pail of motor oil down here, it's usually 15w40, or a Monograde, or on one rare occasion, 10w30.
usually the kind of stuff for a diesel truck or tractor, etc. something with a massive sump(by automotive standards anyhow)

but i've never seen a pail in a Wallyworld. (not saying they don't have 'em in some locations, just not any I've been in..)

Our pails of Walmart house stuff up here really provide some good selection, including hydraulic oil, transmission fluid, and ordinary PCMO. It certainly does help a farmer looking for products like that, and $50 a pail is hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back