Oil filter testing specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching this video from FoMoCo concerning how they test Motorcraft oil filters -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8x6RlI8bQ

- I noticed they mention testing standard USCAR-36. Referencing Fram oil filters, I see they cite ISO 4548-12 for their standard. My question is "Is one of these standards preferred over the other?" Curios as to everyone's thoughts on this.

-Z

Sounds like USCAR-36 are minimum specifications defined by a collaboration between Chrysler, Ford and General Motors. I don't think USCAR-36 is a new test procedure, just defined minimum specs that aftermarket filters are to pass if they get the USCAR-36 stamp of approval.

ISO 4548-12 may still be the industry approved test procedure used to test the filters to determine if they pass USCAR-36 or not, but I didn't see anywhere that specifically said that.

A few Google links:

LINK

http://www.designfax.net/cms/dfx/opens/a...nical&pn=01

USCAR36 ... 95% at 30um (no mention of dP or vis). While not totally informative, that's not really an impressive starting point. Not "bad", but not nearly as good as other options. Sure, that's a min to pass the spec, but the spec itself really isn't setting a high bar. We can presume that the vis is either 5w-20 or 5w-30, and would not greatly alter the performance because a small grade shift like that isn't tremendous at 100C. And we can also presume the dP is well below the BP value; so probably less than 8psid. It's a good starting point, but nothing to get excited about.

Last edited:
They are testing many other things besides the multi pass efficiency test, the one fully loading the filter in four hours. The man in there is the same man Fram uses in their video. I can see why they are happy with Purolator, they pass the tests, but the fact remains testing or not, some have been tearing in the field.

And they are probably using ISO 4548 to do all those other tests to determine if a filter meets the minimum performance requirements stated in USCAR-36. ISO 4548 has many different tests besides the efficiency test, which is Part 12 (ie, ISO 4548-12).

OIL FILTER TESTS PER ISO 4548
-----------------------------
Part 1: Differential pressure/flow characteristics.
Part 2: Element by-pass valve characteristics.
Part 3: Resistance to high differential pressure and to elevated temperature.
Part 4: Initial particle retention efficiency, life and cumulative efficiency (gravimetric method).
Part 5: Cold start simulation and hydraulic pulse durability test.
Part 6: Static burst pressure test.
Part 7: Vibration fatigue test.
Part 8: Inlet anti-drain valve test - withdrawn, covered in Part 9.
Part 9: Inlet and outlet anti-drain valve tests.
Part 10: Life and cumulative efficiency in the presence of water in oil.
Part 11: Self-cleaning filters.
Part 12: Filtration efficiency using particle counting, and contaminant retention capacity.

That is a great video . I seen fram wix purolator oil filter testing . This video by far is best video I seen . I seen they did some testing that I don’t normally seen other brand did or show .

They said 15 tests, one different is media migration, another water. I wonder why there are the two same guys in the video that Fram shows in theirs. Are Fram testing videos of their own labs, or what is going on? Another thing is the video says Motorcraft filters meet the standards after Jan 2017, and the tests are pretty thorough on media integrity. Maybe this means tearing is no longer an issue with them.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
They said 15 tests, one different is media migration, another water. I wonder why there are the two same guys in the video that Fram shows in theirs. Are Fram testing videos of their own labs, or what is going on? Another thing is the video says Motorcraft filters meet the standards after Jan 2017, and the tests are pretty thorough on media integrity. Maybe this means tearing is no longer an issue with them.

USCAR36 just defines minimum performance standards. Doesn't say exactly which industry test is used to verify each defined standard. I'm betting most are found using ISO 4548, and maybe some other test standards are also used. The full blown copy of USCAR36 might say with standard test procedures should be used.

If those same guys are in Fram videos then maybe it's an independent lab that tests all brands of oil filters. I doubt Fram is testing Motorcraft filters for Ford since Fram doesn't make Motorcraft filters.

And yes, you'd think with all these element integrity tests filters that are susceptible to tearing would be found. Maybe Purolator doesn't do most of these tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back