2015 Cruze Tire Choice Recommendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Conti Pure Contact on mine. I took a hit in mpg from the Goodyears that were on it but the handling and traction are way better.

Both of those are good tires, made from the same company. The Continental TrueContact has a little better tread rating so might last longer. So if they are around the same price then get them. If the RT43s are a good deal cheaper then get them.

Do you care about Low Rolling Resistance?

TrueContacts are designed and made for Low Rolling Resistances.

The Altimax makes no such claims

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Although the Altimax doesn't make that claim, so far I haven't noticed a loss of range on my Volt relative to the stock Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires that were on it before. I've only had the Generals about a week but my miles per kwh has been very consistent over the last 3 years so I would notice a loss.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Although the Altimax doesn't make that claim, so far I haven't noticed a loss of range on my Volt relative to the stock Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires that were on it before. I've only had the Generals about a week but my miles per kwh has been very consistent over the last 3 years so I would notice a loss.

If LRR is a thing for anybody, I would highly suggest the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. They are tops for LRR in tirerack.com tests, tops for LRR by GM-Chevy Bolt OE standards, and the same usage in Ford Focus Electric and the current Chevy Volt. Some evidence that Bridgestone Ecopias are almost as LRR though. OEM's are picking the Michelin big-time these days when CAFE or electric range really matters.

If you want winter traction for an all-season tire, consider something with the 3-peak mountain and snowflake logo, like one of these:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG3 or WRG4
Toyo Celsius
Godyear Weatherready

Haven't tried most of the others, but right now I like RT43's. Not the longest lived, not low rolling resistance: but good enough on all other counts. It's what I run on my two cars, and plan on buying again in the future.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Some evidence that Bridgestone Ecopias are almost as LRR though. OEM's are picking the Michelin big-time these days when CAFE or electric range really matters.

Bridgestone Ecopia is a LRR tire, but the OEM-spec ones for BMW/Lexus/Toyota are better than their aftermarket lines for that. It seems like Ford, GM and Honda use Michelin when CAFE or LRR matters - Tesla also installs Michelin most of the time. BMW and Toyota use Bridgestone. Toyota's been installing Toyo NanoEnergy or Yokohama BluEarth tires on the Prius, but the Mirai and the Lexus hybrids get Michelin Primacy MXM4s or Premier LTXs from the factory.

The Goodyear Integrity was the OEM pick for CAFE on cars a while ago.

Last edited:
My Verano came with the Continentals and I had 4 flats in 20k miles. I then got rid of them and put on Goodyears and put 50k miles without incident. Keep in mind it's the same size as a Cruze

If winter traction is something you prioritize the Vredestein Quatrac 5 are a great value and available from tirerack now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back