Who else loves to feed/watch birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love feeding and watching birds in my back yard. I have numerous feeders like regular feeders, thistle seed feeders, suet cake feeders. I'm the spring and summer I put out grape jelly for the Orioles and a sugar feeder for the Hummingbirds.

I see Woodpeckers, Blue Jay's, Cardinals, Mourning Doves, Finches and numerous other bird types.

Last edited:
I also feed the birds. A huge hawk started coming around wanting to eat the little birds but they went into hiding when he was around. I took several pics of the hawk.

Used to feed them years ago yet discovered it also attracts rodents so out in the trash went the feeder.

Birds still come around just not as many.

Last edited:
I feed mine as well. If i put anything other than black oil sunflower or stripey seed they scratch it out and it ends up on the ground which attracts more doves.

I plant the black oil sunflower and stripey from my feed in the spring... i love to watch them eat direct from the head of the sunflower

Whatever is left from their picking of the sunflower heads i put into the feeder.

I am going to try to grow chicory again.. it grows well beside the highways..and during the summer i always see yellow finches perched in it eating something..

Originally Posted By: georgemiller
I also feed the birds. A huge hawk started coming around wanting to eat the little birds but they went into hiding when he was around. I took several pics of the hawk.

I have a hawk that hangs around too. Got one of the Blue Jay's the other day. I was bummed!

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Used to feed them years ago yet discovered it also attracts rodents so out in the trash went the feeder.

Birds still come around just not as many.

True. Feeds the mice, squirrels and rabbits too

Mum is 97 and pretty much wheelchair bound. She is in a "home" My sibs and I visit her regularly and bring bird seed for her squirrel - proof feeder. She has a TV, but prefers the large screen window with the feeder.

Just took a picture of our feeder yesterday late afternoon. Was wondering why I have gone through so much bird feed in the last week or so. I had just bought 5 more bags of it the day before I saw this.
n4ukgl.jpg

I grew up watching them. We had a huge windbreak along with honeysuckle bushes. We kept a bird book because often there were birds we did not recognize.

Blue Jays are bossy cusses. I watched a red headed woodpecker once reach around the corner of the feeder a pop a Blue Jay in the butt. Lol

In summer we had several Blue Bird house. Great little bird.

Last April we moved to a house where an older woman had passed away. She had martins. At first we didn't want them but came to love them. They should be back soon. We have a 12 gourd house. I cleaned them and got them ready for their return.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Just took a picture of our feeder yesterday late afternoon. Was wondering why I have gone through so much bird feed in the last week or so. I had just bought 5 more bags of it the day before I saw this.
n4ukgl.jpg

Lol!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

In this area, we have a lot of bald eagles being fed....from deer carcasses that have been hit by cars and trucks. If they are not too picky, they'll also eat road kill raccoons and opossums.

n4ukgl.jpg

...Those crazy squirrels. You feed them too much.
Look how big they are....

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
This guy, even though I keep my two pit bulls back in the sun room and they go nuts if they see birds,squirrels, etc....

I had a huge German Shepard that I got as a 1 year old (he got too big to be a show dog)
Like you he would go nuts if he saw birds,squirrels, rabbits...all night long. I bought an Anti-bark shock collar. 2 nights and it was over and I took it off.

He would still bark and go nuts at a real threat.

We had a bird feeder on our 3rd floor apartment deck so our cat had something to entertain her during the day. It was both mesmerizing and frustrating for her since she couldn't hunt/kill them. It was cute watching her get all excited and chatter but you could tell she was disappointed she couldn't get to them. We eventually got rid of the feeder since it made such a mess both on our deck and our neighbors below.

That said, it's nice to see wildlife up close. The feeder was only about three feet outside the window. It was funny to go outside to fill it and hear the birds waiting in the trees nearby get all vocal, like "He's filling it up again, guys! Get ready!" and sometimes they would fly over to it before I would even get back inside. I wish we could have it out there again.

n4ukgl.jpg

My buddy used to have them on his deck. But he came out one morning and found a Mama bear and her two cubs out there. Good thing he noticed I wouldn't want to step onto my deck with Mama and her cubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back