Windows 10 forgot password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows forgot it, not the user. I am helping an older neighbor with this. Not as adept at tech, but he is not forgetful or is this a case of a "senior moment."

a) His windows 10 all-in-one (HP 7320) won't recognize his password. (He has not changed it, had it written down. Th keyboard works OK - I tested it - so it is correctly relaying the keyboard input).

b) The computer also "forgot" his wifi network. If you look at available networks, it cannot see his home 5g network, though my tablet or cellphone clearly can.

This is maddening. I connected the computer to my cellphone hotspot, and the password typed ok - so I was able to rule out a keyboard issue. We tried the prior password or two, also (he has a notebook with all passwords he has used back years; very organized) with no joy.

According to the help info from Microsoft, if you hold the shift key while restarting, you get a Win 10 reset menu, but that does not happen. It just restarts all the way to the sign-in screen regardless of holding the shift key. I do get an HP start screen along the way, at which I can hit "esc" and get a windows/HP recovery screen. Then I can wipe it and reinstall the original Windows 7. Not an appealing option.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I can only imagine it is a glitch from a Microsoft forced update, or could it be malware? This is really frustrating and frankly kinda scary that it could happen.

Try logging into his Microsoft account, you won't be able to because the password is the same as the computer login. Hopefully thru his email account you can recover, or reset with a link thru the email account. Its a dumb*** microsofty thing, linking your login for computer to your Microsoft account.

If he or someone inadvertently set a BIOS password (not the same as his WindowsOS password) he will have to do a hardware reset. First step is to open a ticket with the laptop manufacturer.

I'm not fully familiar with your hardware, but the symptoms are typical.

My guess is he went to install something and ended up switching his computer from using a local account to a microsoft account.

Have him try one of his email passwords or what he would use for an email password.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My guess is he went to install something and ended up switching his computer from using a local account to a microsoft account.

Have him try one of his email passwords or what he would use for an email password.

This is good advice! Exactly what I was thinking.. happened to me.

Lots of good advice here. Before doing anything involving resetting anything, however, I would boot from a live Linux-based USB stick like Ubuntu or Mint, access the gentleman's HDD and copy the data over to another USB drive. I had to do this recently for an elderly fella who only had ~2GB between his emails, family photos and internet data.

Thank you guys; lots of good stuff here.

We logged into his microsoft account on my tablet and he could not recall that password. We tried the laptop one and it did not work. We successfully reset that password since he had his phone number in there.

I can connect his desktop to the internet via my phone as a hotspot; How does microsoft know the two are linked? Looking in his Microsoft account, the Win 10 does not appear to be registered/listed as a purchase as it came on the HP computer.

Creating a disk like the hirens toolkit, or a usb bootable to grab data, etc. are all things I'll do if the microsoft account won't solve it. I'm home from work now so I'll go try poking around with that and the new password we created on the web site for the microsoft account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back