Change of address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I've moved but my question is does changing your address at the post office have anything to do with them being able to mail you things? Or do they just need the address to mail the mail to you?

Yes to both questions.
The Post Office needs your new address in order to "mail you things"; anything really. The Post Office doesn't originate much mail but if they want to mail anybody anything, they need an address just like any other entity.

"...do they just need the address to mail the mail to you?". If by this you mean "forwarding", effectively yes.
They need address in order to know where mail is to be delivered.

I answered that straight though I'd bet money you were kidding.

You can file a change of address on line at usps.com for one dollar. The USPS will forward first class mail for up to a year, but it will only forward magazines and newspapers for 60 days. So it's important for you to notify your magazines.

something to add:
-use the PostOffice available moving kit about every 3 months (they say it's OK for 6 months, but.....) until you finished updating the necessary institutions (banks, cards, automatic deliveries, friends)
some how they will not forward you the regular "spam"

I'm just trying to figure out if the fact that I didn't do a change of address with the post office is affecting my ability to receive some things in the mail even though I gave the senders the new address. Thats what im asking, this isnt a joke. Lol

If you've moved a while ago... then it doesn't matter. The postal service doesn't rely on the name of the recipient to deliver mail, just the address. I still get some mail at my home, 5 years later, for a prior owner.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm just trying to figure out if the fact that I didn't do a change of address with the post office is affecting my ability to receive some things in the mail even though I gave the senders the new address. Thats what im asking, this isnt a joke. Lol

You can do the address change online:
-change address: https://www.usa.gov/post-office#item-37197
-forward mail: https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

and yes, they don't follow your name (you have a large chance of at least 5 other MOM), only address

If your sender used your current address , you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back