conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone use conventional oil in the Hyundai 2.4 engine.
I have been using synthetic and wondering if iam wasting my money since it doesn't call for it.

Well... if you could "get away" with using the cheap and standard conventional Lube without any negative side effects, and that is what the engine manufacturer recommends you use in the car, then what's stopping you?

Having said that, I honestly don't understand why anyone would even use the cheap stuff when you can easily find synthetic oil on sale for $3-4 a quart and have peace of mind that you've got Synthetic oil in the engine.

Run it conventional with confidence if you want. As long as your running MFG. spec oil; those engines are bullet proof as long as your changing the oil and filter.

Dale

It may help with ring sticking if the premium cost product has less vm and a more stable base, OTW there is no conventional ILSAC oils and most "synthetic" ARE NOT.

I tend to find very good oils amoungst the "synthetic" offerings that let my engine perform better.

Not all premium oils are worth the added cost.

QSGB and motorcraft are decent conventionals.

I would use whatever oil you can get a really good deal on. The engine you have usually only blows up from manufacturing defects or lack of maintenance. The type of oil you use doesn't matter, only the fact that you change it on time and keep receipts for the warranty.

My sisters '10 Santa Fe with the 2.4 has gotten to 150,000 miles using conventional oil from an oil change shop on 7500-10,000 mile intervals.
It only recently started getting synthetic since I started changing the oil in it.

In NY with the cold winters and hot humid summers, I'd prolly go syn (they're all blends). Maybe SuperTech
laugh.gif

Disregard the "why would anyone run cheap stuff" crowd when the mfcr has confidence that their recommendation of API-SM/ILSAC GF-4 will properly lubricate the engine. In fact, it has done so without issue since 2011 with this platform, having one hiccup, a build issue at one of the assembly plants for certain years. It is absolutely perfectly fine to run Conventional oil in the 2.4. As a matter of fact, my Sonata will be getting a steady dose of dino here-on-out.

You are not wasting your money. It's only a few cents per week. Now if your rides are not worth a few cents per week, then yes .

My Mother has 150k on her 2.4 Hyundai.. Nothing but valvoline white bottle every 4,000 miles , still runs like brand new.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^^^^^^

There ya go. Nothing wrong with VWB, PYB, Havoline, Castrol etc etc...

01.gif

Originally Posted By: johnD2
My Mother has 150k on her 2.4 Hyundai.. Nothing but valvoline white bottle every 4,000 miles , still runs like brand new.

I sure hope so. Valvoline White Bottle at twice that (8000 mile intervals) should give you 300K miles.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: johnD2

I sure hope so. Valvoline White Bottle at twice that (8000 mile intervals) should give you 300K miles.

Since it's mom's car it might be changed out by time. Which works out to every 4k miles. So probably being changed out every 6 mos. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Disregard the "why would anyone run cheap stuff" crowd when the mfcr has confidence that their recommendation of API-SM/ILSAC GF-4 will properly lubricate the engine. In fact, it has done so without issue since 2011 with this platform, having one hiccup, a build issue at one of the assembly plants for certain years. It is absolutely perfectly fine to run Conventional oil in the 2.4. As a matter of fact, my Sonata will be getting a steady dose of dino here-on-out.

Conventional properly lubricate the engine: yes. The only reason I like to run synthetic oil in my Elantra is to prevent coking of rings during Summer and to flow better in Winter. I would rather drive the car less and use that money to get synthetic. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is easier to keep an engine clean than clean a dirty engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back