0W16 & 5W16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why haven't I seen these (2) oils in the stores yet? Are there ANY manufacturers engines that spec this oil? If your engine is spec'd 5W20, can this oil be used in said engine?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
If your engine is spec'd 5W20, can this oil be used in said engine?

It has been discussed here a while back. Unless your engine was specifically designed to run on a 16 grade oil it would not be advisable to use it in an application calling for a 20 grade oil.

I wanted to get more information on these 2 oils so I GOOGLED them. I was surprised to see that there is an 0W8 and an 0W12 engine oil in production as well. As of this reply, it's the first time I have ever heard of these 2 aforementioned oils. I would imagine they are very thin.

Why haven't I seen these (2) oils in the stores yet? Are there ANY manufacturers engines that spec this oil? If your engine is spec'd 5W20, can this oil be used in said engine?

Why would you want to?
You will get no benefit out of this.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

Why would you want to?
You will get no benefit out of this.

Have you ever heard of the saying,"Reading is knowledge and knowledge is power!"
I like to be kept updated in certain areas as to use this information in the future if needed.
thumbsup2.gif

That is okay with you, right?

I wonder if any earlier model year Toyotas will be back spec'd to 0W16? Are there any significant differences between the engines from 2017 to 2018 that would allow for 0w16?

I was at Toyota dealer yesterday and noted the 0W16 on shelf. The rep stated that the new Camry spec is the 0W16. I inquired if the engine had changed or just a lower viscosity oil for mileage. He said it was a totally new engine design but could not state whether the XW20 weight would be acceptable. I did not see an owner's manual to see any options.

They had their 0W20 brand of synthetic on sale, 4.99 a quart, not bad for a dealer price.
We did discuss that the 0W16 may make sense in Canada but for TN, the climate is pretty moderate and hot summers so the old discussion of a 0W16 holding up yielding no new thoughts. So, assuming Toyota tested the oil enough to be comfortable in all climates.

The employees had no idea who developed/refined the oil for Toyota and nothing on the bottles either,

Originally Posted By: Spector
I was at Toyota dealer yesterday and noted the 0W16 on shelf. The rep stated that the new Camry spec is the 0W16. I inquired if the engine had changed or just a lower viscosity oil for mileage. He said it was a totally new engine design but could not state whether the XW20 weight would be acceptable. I did not see an owner's manual to see any options.

They had their 0W20 brand of synthetic on sale, 4.99 a quart, not bad for a dealer price.
We did discuss that the 0W16 may make sense in Canada but for TN, the climate is pretty moderate and hot summers so the old discussion of a 0W16 holding up yielding no new thoughts. So, assuming Toyota tested the oil enough to be comfortable in all climates.

The employees had no idea who developed/refined the oil for Toyota and nothing on the bottles either,

IIRC I read somewhere they are using different bearings, perhaps other parts were changed as well. It was designed to run on the "thinner oil." I would not chance that oil in a engine that wasn't designed with that grade of oil in mind. The risk vs. reward doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

IIRC I read somewhere they are using different bearings, perhaps other parts were changed as well. It was designed to run on the "thinner oil." I would not chance that oil in a engine that wasn't designed with that grade of oil in mind. The risk vs. reward doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I would have to agree with you on this. But, I wonder if someone HAS tried it and the results were not so good?
confused2.gif

Lol. I'm sure there have been plenty of your average Turbo Direct injected 4 bangers used for short trips who diluted the 0w20 oil in their sump by 2-3 points down to a 0w18 or so without any catastrophic engine failure. Maybe a pinch more engine wear if any.

I'm sure that oil is loaded with Moly or some other expensive anti wear additive to keep metal to metal contact at bay.

I would be interested in seeing this oil in a 0w20 spec mid 2000s engine. I say it will be just fine... temporarily.
lol.gif

I would have to agree with you on this. But, I wonder if someone HAS tried it and the results were not so good?
confused2.gif

This is Bitog, if someone hasn't tried it someone will. Stay tuned!!!!
wink.gif

I wouldn't use it in an engine not specs for it.
And not in anything in the summer in the South.
But maybe someone here will give it a try.

I wonder if Toyota will start back spec'ing some vehicles to boost sales of the 16 grade oils to help get it on store shelves. Some say that's why some of the automakers, Ford comes to mind started back spec'ing 5W20 oils.

Back in 2007, I had the dealer collect a sample of the used oil that came out of my Daihatsu after its first ever service (this was after 9,000 miles, the recommended OCI) so that I could check it out in the lab.

I knew through backchannels that the Daihatsu factory fill oil was a 0W20, so I was somewhat surprised to find the used oil had a KV100 of just 5.0 cst; very thin! Depending on how you look at things, that made the oil either a heavy xW-8 or a light xW-12. The reason for the low viscosity was 8% fuel dilution, something I ascribed to this engine being one of the first to use low tension rings.

Interestingly, the wear metals in that oil were virtually nonexistent, which was pretty amazing as wear metals are generally highest in the first OCI and progressively drop off in subsequent OCIs. The car ran quite happily for seven years on thin oil (at which point I gave it away).

Whilst all OEMs specify the grade of oil you're supposed to use, it's worth pointing out that none of them appear to similarly specify any kind of aggregate average or maximum oil operating temperature for the oil in their engines (oil temperature tends to be an uncontrolled, floating variable). I find this somewhat strange because a thin oil in an engine that's set to run cold, might always see a maximum ACTUAL viscosity that's higher than a thicker oil in an engine that's set to run hot. I do wonder if in speccing, xW-12s & xW-16, OEMs are purposely doing something to limit the average/max temperature of engine oils (ie like setting the coolant thermostat low)?

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I do wonder if in speccing, xW-12s & xW-16, OEMs are purposely doing something to limit the average/max temperature of engine oils (ie like setting the coolant thermostat low)?

Many engines now come with oil-to-water heat exchangers to keep the oil around the same temp as the coolant.

I wonder if Toyota will start back spec'ing some vehicles to boost sales of the 16 grade oils to help get it on store shelves. Some say that's why some of the automakers, Ford comes to mind started back spec'ing 5W20 oils.

As I understand it, some Japanese OEMs have been spec'ing 0w16 for years now in the JDM. If some of these engines are the same that we're using here it's entirely possible they'll offer 0w16 as a high efficiency oil fill.

In my (limited) experience, Japanese OEMs don't typically back spec. Whatever is in the manual will continue being the de-facto line from head office, but your dealer may recommend otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back