Using Old Ultra (July 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big stash of oil, and currently have 8qts of P Ultra with date codes of 23JUL13?

Is it safe to use?

i think the manufacturers all say 5years shelf life in sealed bottle, so you are still within the oil makers recommendation, let alone your own standards

However if you have a big stash yet you get anxious over 4.5yearold oil pethaps you need to reflect on your long term goal.

correction

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/service/all-yellow-faq.html

Says 4year shelf life. So you are .5 years past pennzoils recommendation. your own standards may vary. I'd run it if oil was given to me. But I personally also wouldn't keep a 5year stash so the situation wouldn't natually come up for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Xeno
I have a big stash of oil, and currently have 8qts of P Ultra with date codes of 23JUL13?

Is it safe to use?

Yes, they are safe to use. Our oil filters have a shelf life of 7 plus years if stored in a dry place

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
I have a very large stash of oil and never worry about it getting old.
I store it at Walmart.

And you always get to pay full price too.
Sealed oil bottles will be good for many years.
Just shake it up good and use it.
Or listen to the oil company that wants to sell you more oil.

Exactly demarpaint. Shoot I'd just about donate a kidney for some old school Pennzoil Ultra
smile.gif

I’m sure you have better things to do than worry about that oil being expired. Let me take that worry away from you, I’ll come pick them up and dispose of them correctly, lol

Mobil says 5 year shelf life.
Amsoil says 5 year shelf life.
Pennzoil says 4 year shelf life.
Valvoline says never expires.

IMO, if oil is in a sealed container (even if it has been opened then recapped), so long as it is stored indoors and not in sub arctic or Saharan temperatures, it is fine to use for decades.
also, as long as the API specs meet the vehicle spec it is being used in, no issues.

Like others are saying, I'd use it. The only thing I might do is make sure its room temp then shake the bottle to get anything that "fell out" at the bottom mixed in.

Yes, just check the specs on the bottle to make sure it is appropriate for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back