Need advice on CAI 3" filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has a Cold Air Intake and now the cone filter on it does not look so great after many cleaning cycles. I am looking to replace it now with another cone filter to go on a 3" pipe.
The question is Which cone air filter offers more filtration, even if it is at the cost of air flow?
I am also wondering if there is a difference between regular cone filter (K&N, AEM, etc) and a mushroom foam air filter in terms of filtration? Again, I do not care for air flow as much as I care about filtration.
Thank you all in advance.

I had an AEM dryflow on my Mazdaspeed for over 130,000 miles. UOAs showed that filtration was not an issue.

Run the Injen Nano Blue with Dry Sock prefilter or AEM Dryflow Cone filter with precharger. Injen better filtration and for short ram slightly but AEM easier to maintain as a cold air filter. Cleans easier too

AMSOIL I think still makes universal air filters that are made using Donaldson's synthetic media, if you have to keep a cone on there, that would be an excellent choice.

If filtration is your primary concern, have you considered going back to the stock air intake setup?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

If filtration is your primary concern, have you considered going back to the stock air intake setup?

I have, but it is hard to come by. And whenever a stock setup is available - it is hundreds of dollars. Just the air box is $70- $80, plus piping, etc... Cheaper to get a premium cone filter instead.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian

I am also wondering if there is a difference between regular cone filter (K&N, AEM, etc) and a mushroom foam air filter in terms of filtration?

Mushroom foam air filter = only good for screening out pebbles, large insects,, etc.

Everything smaller goes through the thin layer of foam.

You also have Volant PowerCore using the Donaldson filters, which should be available in 3" ID also.

The intake I'm buying (which has CARB EO Exemption) uses 2.75", which means no Donaldson for me. So I got a AEM Dryflow BruteForce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back