gas water heater question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My home in DE has about a 60 gallon gas water heater. When I leave I turn the thermostat down to minimum, probably 90F. When I return a few weeks latter I turn it to mid point, maybe 140F. I assume the gas flame heats the water in the bottom and by convection the heat moves up to the 90F water at the top of the tank until the whole tank is 140F.

How long should the process take? It seems to take overnight. I would think it would take less than 1 hour.

You just told us how long it takes.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Mine is a 30 gallon unit, and even after running all the hot water out (after showers / dishwater / etc.) it doesn't take very long to heat back up to the desired temperature. Maybe 30 minutes.

Whatever the recovery rate of the water heater is. Typically it would say something like 60 gallons in an hour or something like that. If it takes all day, it's taking too long and there's something wrong. Dip tube, thermostat, sediment, bad burner, gas pressure, etc.

It should take no more than an hour.
If it is a old water heater and/or you have hard water, sediment in the tank bottom is like an insulator. Has the tank been drained once a year to flush the sediment? If it has never been flushed, the drain valve will be clogged. If it is, you may be able to use a stiff wire to break the clog loose. It is a chore.

We do the same with a 40 gallon gas whenever we're gone for more than a couple days.
It takes 30 minutes or so until you get some warm water, the thermostat shuts it off 45 min to an hour after turning it back up.

Then it could be temperature probe. You can replace those, but they go inside the water heater so you should either drain it or do it when it's cold as some water can come out. If it's under warranty, they'll usually send you the part but labor is typically only one year so you'll have to find a plumber to do it if it's over a year old. Or if it's not, then who knows what that part goes for, might be time for a new one.

I have a 40 gal electric that I turn off when I go on vacation for a few days or more. It takes less than an hour to go from full cold to full warm when I turn it back on. Gas should be similiar.

Do you drain some water out every spring to keep the rust/sediment from impeding the heat? I use the hose off the AC. I let it run wide open for about 30 seconds. My Dad said to do this many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back