2011 Subaru WRX - Looking for advice on which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Vehicle: 2011 Subaru WRX (Lightly Modified, can provide a list of modifications, block is stock with roughly 125k miles)
2. Recommended oil: 5w-30 (Currently using AMSoil 5w-30 Signature series)
3. Wisconsin
4. Easy/Medium, with some spirited driving.
5. My commute is being reduced for work, however, it will be highway driving, and I do let my car warm up before driving, especially in this really cold weather
6. Known Problems: Having some oil consumption issues, nothing crazy I'm told but roughly half a stick which seems to be 1/2-1qt every 3,000 miles or so, I've been just topping it off, but considering changing oil to something else.

I've been contemplating moving to Motul 5w-40 8100 x-cess, but it's not easily accessible locally, which I'd prefer, however not against having to order it, I would just have to order extra for topping off purposes. I know the AMSoil is a good oil, but I've been contemplating stepping up to 5w-40 to see if this would help in the consumption at all. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Save some money and run ROTELLA T6 5W-30 or 5W-40. This oil is often recommended on NASIOC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Personality
1. Vehicle: 2011 Subaru WRX (Lightly Modified, can provide a list of modifications, block is stock with roughly 125k miles)
2. Recommended oil: 5w-30 (Currently using AMSoil 5w-30 Signature series)
3. Wisconsin
4. Easy/Medium, with some spirited driving.
5. My commute is being reduced for work, however, it will be highway driving, and I do let my car warm up before driving, especially in this really cold weather
6. Known Problems: Having some oil consumption issues, nothing crazy I'm told but roughly half a stick which seems to be 1/2-1qt every 3,000 miles or so, I've been just topping it off, but considering changing oil to something else.

I've been contemplating moving to Motul 5w-40 8100 x-cess, but it's not easily accessible locally, which I'd prefer, however not against having to order it, I would just have to order extra for topping off purposes. I know the AMSoil is a good oil, but I've been contemplating stepping up to 5w-40 to see if this would help in the consumption at all. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you want to run a 40 weight oil, just get Castrol 0W40. Easy to find, and inexpensive.

Both Amsoil and Motul are "boutique" oils and are going to be overkill for your driving habits. More marketing than anything else. If you're looking to improve consumption, any 40-weight from Pennzoil, Mobil, or Castrol will provide more than enough protection at a fraction of the cost with far wider availability. You can also try a high-mileage variant in 30-weight from the same companies as well.

Any name brand 15w40 to 5w40 to 0w40, or a dexos1Gen2 5w30

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Save some money and run ROTELLA T6 5W-30 or 5W-40. This oil is often recommended on NASIOC.

Is the Rotella T6 5w-40 the one marked for Diesel engines?

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
Originally Posted By: JustN89

Is the Rotella T6 5w-40 the one marked for Diesel engines?

It is, but it will also work well in this application.

Last I looked, Rotella T6 5W-40 is also SN rated. Shell markets it for mixed fleet applications..I've been using Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 in our heavily modified WRX/STI for a number of years. Engine runs strong with it. Schaeffers also touts that oil for mixed fleet applications. The shop that "tuned" our STI swears by the 300 series Motul, which is an ester based, high moly oil with high levels of zinc, but then they track their modded Subaru's.

Originally Posted By: Tim_S
Last I looked, Rotella T6 5W-40 is also SN rated. Shell markets it for mixed fleet applications..I've been using Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 in our heavily modified WRX/STI for a number of years. Engine runs strong with it. Schaeffers also touts that oil for mixed fleet applications. The shop that "tuned" our STI swears by the 300 series Motul, which is an ester based, high moly oil with high levels of zinc, but then they track their modded Subaru's.

It isn't SN rated, but is still SM rated per API website. However I do believe that the manual actually calls for API SM oil. According to the Impreza WRX manual, that is.

As already mentioned go with an readily available 0W40. RT6 5W40 is no longer a mixed fleet oil. That designation now goes to RT6 5W30 Multi Vehicle. Basically go with anything that is not GF5/Resource Conserving.

Being in WI, you most likely can find Amsoil easily. I’ve great experience with Amsoil XL 5W30 in my 2.0 turbo. I’d suggest Amsoil OE 5W30 or Redline 5W30.

Thanks G.

OP - By the way, your consumption is similar to mine and changing oil grades or brands may not make much of a difference. About the only grade that I haven't tried is 10W-40.

Amsoil SS 5W-30 has a low HTHS and I would switch to something with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. Not that it will necessarily help with consumption but because a modified EJ engine would be better off with a more robust oil IMO. Brand doesn't matter so much.

Last edited:
I like that some of the HDEO's have stopped chasing SN. It means they can go back to their stouter add paks and more stable HTHS and that's what I buy the stuff for.

Rotella T6 will be fine in your engine. I have used it in Turbo Euro motors for years. Not one ounce of trouble. Sold my last Saab and now have 2 jugs of T6. It'll be going in other cars and trucks and on down the road soon
laugh.gif

You can always top up with other quality oils, just as you would on the road somewhere ...

But, I agree that you might want to try Edge 0W-40. It's a fine oil and well liked around here
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back