Harley Davidson 117 Cu In - Oil Reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about ready to do my first oil change on a 2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide CVO with the Screamin Eagle 117 Cu In motor. I wanted to find what oil would be best for this engine from harley aside from the factory labeled oil.

Thanks in advance

I'd go with the Harley dealer for the first few services to develop somewhat of a relationship with the dealer, if for nothing else than to have it on the books if you have to have any warranty work done. Then I would go with Redline. I love all the CVO's.
smile.gif

Whose marketing do you prefer?

Any of these in a 20w-50 will be fine-
HD SYN 3
Mobil 1 V-Twin
Valvoline SynPower or VR1 (VR1 racing is nor for use in the primary)
Castrol
Amzoil
Red Line

In my old Softail, I run 1 qt Amsoil 20W-50 V-Twin and the rest Mystik 15W-50.

Outstanding oil consumption and oil temperature control.

Your Road Glide CVO is a beautiful bike, congratulations. Mystik 15W-50 will work superbly in the new Milwaukee 8 especially with its improved cooling and standard oil cooler. I use it in my 2013 Twin Cam 96CI and have gotten an excellent report from Blackstone labs. I also use it in the transmission and primary. My primary and engine drain plugs come out with only a hint of black particles, the transmission plug is pristine. Make sure not to overfill and use the engine cold method of checking. On my engine, halfway up the stick is full when cold. This insures no oil getting recirculated through your air cleaner. Enjoy the bike!

Originally Posted By: Bellavita
Your Road Glide CVO is a beautiful bike, congratulations. Mystik 15W-50 will work superbly in the new Milwaukee 8 especially with its improved cooling and standard oil cooler. I use it in my 2013 Twin Cam 96CI and have gotten an excellent report from Blackstone labs. I also use it in the transmission and primary. My primary and engine drain plugs come out with only a hint of black particles, the transmission plug is pristine. Make sure not to overfill and use the engine cold method of checking. On my engine, halfway up the stick is full when cold. This insures no oil getting recirculated through your air cleaner. Enjoy the bike!

My 96CI Twin Cam manual says “ oil level cannot be accurately measured on a cold engine “, then explains how to check cold as a pre- ride inspection. I have always used the hot check method though I’ m not sure the procedure is the same for the new M8 engines.

The cold level only lets you know you have some oil in it,and it's ok to start the motor. The HOT level is the only one that really matters. You don't need any oil in the motor if it's not running. And Bellavita, oil is never recirculated thru the air cleaner. The only thing that should be directed into the air cleaner is oil vapor or blow by. If you overfill your oil it will overflow into the air cleaner. If you rub your hand on the underside of your air filter housing and you get oil on your fingers, or it's dripping down onto the motor, you probably have too much oil in your oil tank.,,

Presuming you're at the 1000 mile service?
Let the dealer do it and then do the rest yourself. The oil filter put on from the factory is a royal pia to get off..
Oh, the M8 engine uses 4.5 quarts of oil.., tranny 1 qt and primary and little over 1 qt..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedBull43
Just about ready to do my first oil change on a 2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide CVO with the Screamin Eagle 117 Cu In motor. I wanted to find what oil would be best for this engine from harley aside from the factory labeled oil.

Thanks in advance

Havent seen the new M8 manual but I used what is recommended by Harley OR at the least, the oil recommended by Harley if HD oil is not available.

Which in the twin cam engines was a "C" rated diesel oil and Harley oil seems to represent a diesel rated oil in the VOAs and UOAs here so I use a not well known Mystik C rated 15/50.

With all the above said, I know you can use whatever you want, if I didnt use the above, most likely I would choose Maxlife 20/50 or any automotive 20/50, OR Valvoline specific 20/50 motorcycle oil.
Bottom line, design of the engine determines engine life, oil can not make up for faulty design.

Harley oil is also good stuff, its all about whatever makes one happy ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback and clarification on my recirculation comment. I did experience a light film of oil on my air cleaner when I went to inspect and change it after 16,460 miles this past November and that made me conclude I was overfilling. This is what led me to using the cold check and I’d like to share my experience in changing the oil and maintaining the oil level.

I have the owner’s manual and service manual for my 2013 Harley Street Bob with the 96CI Twin Cam. When I change the oil I follow the procedure and measure out exactly 2.5 quarts to fill the tank and charge the oil filter. I start the engine and idle it for 30 seconds to completely circulate the oil and fill the filter then shut it down.

The oil level matches the picture in the owner’s manual perfectly at this point, midway between ADD and FULL HOT. The dipstick has 7 squares and it is right at 3.5 squares. The Service manual states a wet engine has 16 oz. or .5 quart of oil in it so the engine at this point is at the full capacity of 3 quarts of oil. (2.5 new oil + .5 that remains).

I took my bike out this past Friday and Sunday and the outside temp was 40F degrees and rode the bike 30 minutes. I checked my oil after my rides and the oil level was up 1 square. Each square is equal to 4.6 ounces (32/7). If I were to add oil to get up to the FULL HOT line, I would be adding another 11.5 ounces (2.5 squares on the stick) putting the engine into an overfill condition. This is why I’ve switched to maintaining the oil level based on a cold engine with the oil on the stick at halfway to eliminate this. At times, I will check the oil level hot to ensure oil has gone above the cold level.

I went to TheEngineeringToolBox.com to estimate how much three quarts of oil should expand when heated in operation to predict how much the hot oil check should be. When I put in a 160F degree temperature change (40F to 200F) into their calculator, it says 3 quarts of motor oil expands to 3.1872 quarts. This is equal to 6.0 ounces of movement on the stick or 1.3 squares. This appears pretty close to what I see in operation.

I would appreciate feedback on my methods and logic. BTW, it was great being out on the bike after it being covered in the garage since November!

Originally Posted By: Bellavita
Thank you for the feedback and clarification on my recirculation comment. I did experience a light film of oil on my air cleaner when I went to inspect and change it after 16,460 miles this past November and that made me conclude I was overfilling. This is what led me to using the cold check and I’d like to share my experience in changing the oil and maintaining the oil level.

I have the owner’s manual and service manual for my 2013 Harley Street Bob with the 96CI Twin Cam. When I change the oil I follow the procedure and measure out exactly 2.5 quarts to fill the tank and charge the oil filter. I start the engine and idle it for 30 seconds to completely circulate the oil and fill the filter then shut it down.

The oil level matches the picture in the owner’s manual perfectly at this point, midway between ADD and FULL HOT. The dipstick has 7 squares and it is right at 3.5 squares. The Service manual states a wet engine has 16 oz. or .5 quart of oil in it so the engine at this point is at the full capacity of 3 quarts of oil. (2.5 new oil + .5 that remains).

I took my bike out this past Friday and Sunday and the outside temp was 40F degrees and rode the bike 30 minutes. I checked my oil after my rides and the oil level was up 1 square. Each square is equal to 4.6 ounces (32/7). If I were to add oil to get up to the FULL HOT line, I would be adding another 11.5 ounces (2.5 squares on the stick) putting the engine into an overfill condition. This is why I’ve switched to maintaining the oil level based on a cold engine with the oil on the stick at halfway to eliminate this. At times, I will check the oil level hot to ensure oil has gone above the cold level.

I went to TheEngineeringToolBox.com to estimate how much three quarts of oil should expand when heated in operation to predict how much the hot oil check should be. When I put in a 160F degree temperature change (40F to 200F) into their calculator, it says 3 quarts of motor oil expands to 3.1872 quarts. This is equal to 6.0 ounces of movement on the stick or 1.3 squares. This appears pretty close to what I see in operation.

I would appreciate feedback on my methods and logic. BTW, it was great being out on the bike after it being covered in the garage since November!
Sorry, but you might be over thinking this. Anywhere between full and add on the cross hatches will be fine, per the manual but I have always ran my engines as close to the 'full hot' marks as possible without over filling. My current 96 doesn't use oil, has no blow by, and has never required a top off in 34,000 miles.

"I have the owner’s manual and service manual for my 2013 Harley Street Bob with the 96CI Twin Cam. When I change the oil I follow the procedure and measure out exactly 2.5 quarts to fill the tank and charge the oil filter. I start the engine and idle it for 30 seconds to completely circulate the oil and fill the filter then shut it down." ^ This is confusing to me as well.

Thank you for the feedback Gman and sorry for the confusion in that paragraph. I was explaining that when I fill the tank after I've drained it in doing an oil change, I add some oil into the oil filter, screw it on and add the rest into the tank. After a brief idle to completely fill the oil filter, the oil level will be exactly mid-way on the stick. The Harley cold check is very accurate to the stated capacity, I really like that precision!

I was finding it interesting that the stated engine capacity for our 96TC is 3 quarts but following a hot check will exceed that and I was trying to understand why. Good to hear from your experience it has no impact.

Thanks again for your feedback and at 34,000 miles you've got a great running engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back