high mileage oil, 75K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most oil brands are available in a "high mileage" flavor, advertised for use in vehicles with 75,000 miles or more. A vehicle with poor oil maintenance can have high mileage wear at 40K, yet a well maintained vehicle can have low mileage wear at 140K.
How did the ad teams come up with 75K as high mileage?

Any input about high mileage oil.....ad hype or is there something to it?

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Most oil brands are available in a "high mileage" flavor, advertised for use in vehicles with 75,000 miles or more. A vehicle with poor oil maintenance can have high mileage wear at 40K, yet a well maintained vehicle can have low mileage wear at 140K.
How did the ad teams come up with 75K as high mileage?

Any input about high mileage oil.....ad hype or is there something to it?

The real or imagined benefits of HM oils has been discussed on this board more times than I can count. Please use the search function (which DOES work for this term) before posting yet another question on the same tired subject.

yawn.....just reading your post makes me tired.....
I guess it is hard to count that high after being on here for over 12 years.
If you are tired of reading tired subjects, don't read them, they may not be tired to a new member. But at least tired posts give you something to reply to.

High Mileage oils by any oil company all seem to use 75,000 miles as the break point. I agree with you that the number doesn't make sense for every customer. As far as the oil itself, a high mileage oil will have enhanced detergent additives, seal conditioners to keep seals pliable and reduce leaks as well as claims to reduce oil burning. That's about it. With that being said, I do use Mobil 1 HM in 3 of my vehicles and I am satisfied.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
yawn.....just reading your post makes me tired.....
I guess it is hard to count that high after being on here for over 12 years.
If you are tired of reading tired subjects, don't read them, they may not be tired to a new member. But at least tired posts give you something to reply to.

But what I said is true and of course you already knew that. You only post to get attention, right? Post subjects that you know have been thoroughly discussed numerous times in the past... 12 years.

And you're new here? Really? Nah, go on.

As has been posted many times before. I moved to MaxLife when I bought my Encore with 50K. Wouldn't do it today because it doesn't meet Dexos 1v2. Warranty ran out at 70K and I'm pushing 100 so I'm staying with MaxLife. The 75K mileage is so they'll have an easy marketing point. Seal conditioner does no harm.

To answer your question, the experts at Valvoline (MaxLife high mileage oil folks) practically invented it, and 75,000 miles is what they chose.
Mostly because their own research showed seals start getting less pliable, less flexible around 75,000 miles.
Seal conditioning is the one big thing about any High Mileage oil. MaxLife does have some extra detergents and anti-wear though; not much more.
Skip to the 27:02 point on the video done at Valvoline:

Originally Posted By: csandste
As has been posted many times before. I moved to MaxLife when I bought my Encore with 50K. Wouldn't do it today because it doesn't meet Dexos 1v2. Warranty ran out at 70K and I'm pushing 100 so I'm staying with MaxLife. The 75K mileage is so they'll have an easy marketing point. Seal conditioner does no harm.
"Dexos 1v2" I think you mean 'dexos1 Gen2', and the Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic version does indeed meet dexos1 Gen2 which is a high spec and makes MaxLife suitable for use in any age engine, new or old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
High Mileage oils by any oil company all seem to use 75,000 miles as the break point. I agree with you that the number doesn't make sense for every customer. As far as the oil itself, a high mileage oil will have enhanced detergent additives, seal conditioners to keep seals pliable and reduce leaks as well as claims to reduce oil burning. That's about it. With that being said, I do use Mobil 1 HM in 3 of my vehicles and I am satisfied.

I see you have been on here since 2004. Some long time wanna-be moderators here are rude and have nothing to add to the conversation.

I thank you for the information and the personal results in your vehicles.

Some of us run HM oils sooner than 75K ... They used to have stout add paks and were sort of VR-1 jr
smile.gif

If they went for the SN rating, they are now weak sauce too
frown.gif
OK to soften seals, but not much else of real benefit ...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
As far as the oil itself, a high mileage oil will have enhanced detergent additives, seal conditioners to keep seals pliable and reduce leaks as well as claims to reduce oil burning.

Who knows?!?!?!!?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4657497/Re:_Has_anyone_ever_done_a_uoa#Post4657497

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I emailed Pennzoil this morning asking what the difference is between PP 0W20 and PPHM 0W20 and here's what they said:

Me:
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 in my 2012 Honda Accord (with the 2.4 K24 4 cylinder engine) that has 76,000 miles on it. It has no leaks and uses no oil whatsoever. Would there be any benefit of switching to Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0W20? What's the exact difference between the regular Platinum 0W20 and the high mileage Platinum 0W20?

Thanks!!

Them:
If you are not losing or consuming oil there is no need to switch to the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. The primary difference is the cleaning additives are removed and seal conditioners are added to the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage oil to help with older worn seals. If you would like to discuss this in detail please call our hotline at 1-800-237-8645, option 3,1

The 75K mileage is so they'll have an easy marketing point.

Correct

Recommending HM oil at 50,000 miles is so ridiculous, the marketing dept knows that won't fly....

But, a lot of folks trade at 100,000 miles ... so we can't wait too long to snag them as customers...

75,0000 mileage = easy marketing point (and nothing more)

Which Maxlife are you talking about? The one I just put in recently that's full synthetic maxlife 0W-20 is now D1G2. Before it wasn't.

I don't see the needs of high mileage oil for my needs. My aspire has a little over 210,000 miles and doesn't burn any or leak for that matter.
just marketing hype because i tried some in my f150 that leaks oil and it didn't make a difference and i tried all brands.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I don't see the needs of high mileage oil for my needs. My aspire has a little over 210,000 miles and doesn't burn any or leak for that matter.
just marketing hype because i tried some in my f150 that leaks oil and it didn't make a difference and i tried all brands.

High Mileage oils may help prevent leaks from happening in the first place by keeping seals flexible. If you wait for a leak to happen, its usually too late.
Once leaks happen, sometimes you need a Seal Sweller, not a seal conditioner thats in High Mileage oils.
Seal Sweller is sold as additives like Bar's, etc.

I have used seal sweller but the rear main is to far gone i just need time to pull the transmission and torque converter to replace it.
I already replaced the front main seal,timing cover gasket, and valve cover gasket and oil loss is 1qt every 2100 miles now instead of 4-500 miles.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
High Mileage oils may help prevent leaks from happening in the first place by keeping seals flexible.

I wonder about this too,using a high mileage oil with a brand new car from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back