cause of the white mung on the batt holdown clamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what causes it? batt terminals have the "fuzzy" felt washers on them, no corosion on them and no corrosion on the terminals either,
but the battery hold down clamp that runs across the battery top, where it touches the edge of the top of the battery has the white mung.
where is that coming from?
Thanks.

I don't know if it helps, but I've begun applying wax to the hold-down bar and applying anti-seize to the threads. I'm hoping this prevents the mess of rust I usually end up with for decade-old vehiles.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Yep, specifically hydrogen and oxygen venting form the cells, corroding metals that it wafts over

I don't think it's either of those. It's the acid moisture that's carried with the venting gas.

What voltage is your charging system putting out?

WHY ARE YOU YELLING!?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I don't know if it helps, but I've begun applying wax to the hold-down bar and applying anti-seize to the threads. I'm hoping this prevents the mess of rust I usually end up with for decade-old vehiles.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Yep, specifically hydrogen and oxygen venting form the cells, corroding metals that it wafts over

I don't think it's either of those. It's the acid moisture that's carried with the venting gas.

What voltage is your charging system putting out?

Right neither hydrogen nor oxygen gas is corrosive. Explosive yes. Its sulfuric acid fumes. Check the charging system.

I remember in the 1950s my Dad would bend a spring or something in the voltage regulator for the engine's generator to adjust the voltage. Before alternators. By the time I was old enough to really understand the workings of an engine they had alternators.

Like somebody else said, it's caused by venting/leaking battery acid. Clean with baking soda, and, if you want to go the extra mile, sand the corrosion off. Then coat your hold-down bracket and cable ends with Vaseline or some dielectric grease. That'll prevent it happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back