Interesting oil extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil extractor has an adapter that locks onto the dipstick tube using it to suck the oil out instead of a tube that is fed down into the pan.

I wonder if it leave a little in compared to piping a tube all the way to the bottom, or if the suction is so strong it gets everything.

this will only work if the dipstick tube goes to the bottom of the crankcase which is the case since mb cars are designed to have oil changed via extractor.
to answer question above its the correct way to change a mb engines oil. there is no drain plug.

most the dipstick tube designs for cars with drainplugs dont attach to the bottom of.the crank so you'd be sucking an air gap before you hit the oil.

Last edited:
Well, isn’t that how you are pretty much forced to do it with Most Auto engine driven Marine applications. They sell an hand pump suction rig that looks like an insecticide sprayer just for that. After all trying to fit a pan under therethat will hold 5 qts and not dump it all over while snaking it out after its full is a PITA.

This is exactly what Walmarts have. I have never seen that adapter before, must be something special for MB. Those pumps, at least the one my walmart has is very under powered.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I wonder if it leave a little in compared to piping a tube all the way to the bottom, or if the suction is so strong it gets everything.

If you change oil regularly and change it when the oil is hot, there shouldn't any crud at the bottom of the pan

Mercedes engines since at least the 1970's are designed with a dipstick tube running to the bottom of the oil pan. The manual claims that you can get more oil out of the engine using an extractor than you can by pulling the drain plug. This makes changes easy, as all the engines I've worked on that were built after 1979 had filters that I could reach from the top side. (1977 240 D filter had to be changed from below.)

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
This is exactly what Walmarts have. I have never seen that adapter before, must be something special for MB. Those pumps, at least the one my walmart has is very under powered.

if it doesnt have the adapter and is underpowered then obviously it is not exactly what walmart has. similar but not exact

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
this will only work if the dipstick tube goes to the bottom of the crankcase which is the case since mb cars are designed to have oil changed via extractor.
to answer question above its the correct way to change a mb engines oil. there is no drain plug.

most the dipstick tube designs for cars with drainplugs dont attach to the bottom of.the crank so you'd be sucking an air gap before you hit the oil.

Not really true. When you insert the tube into the dipstick you don't stop at the bottom of the dipstick tube, you stop when the tube hits the bottom of the oilpan. The extractor I have has a fairly stiff tube and doesn't stray from a straight line much. If you were using some really wimpy tube then your argument would be easier to defend.

This is the only kind of oil change my air cooled VW sees. I got tired of pulling the strainer plate because there was never anything on the strainer and I bought a Pela extractor. I get exactly 2 1/2 quarts out which is the rated oil capacity. I change the oil so often in it that it really doesn't matter if every last drop gets removed or not.

I did my VW Golf diesel this way too because the plastic skid plate was such a PITA and the dipstick tube went right to the bottom of the sump and the oil filter was topside anyway. Great system if you have a car you can use it on.

Anyone worried about not getting all the oil out can first suck it out from the top, then go underneath and see how much more comes out the drain plug. If less than half a quart I wouldn't worry about it.

Thinking about this again, the suction in the video has to be very high because there is (obviously) no oil in the dipstick tube. So it has to suck air in first.

With that much suction, it's probably capable of getting all the oil out of the pan and at least as much as a tube inserted that hits the bottom

Thinking about this again, the suction in the video has to be very high because there is (obviously) no oil in the dipstick tube. So it has to suck air in first.

With that much suction, it's probably capable of getting all the oil out of the pan and at least as much as a tube inserted that hits the bottom

The Mercedes tube must go to the bottom, or it wouldn't extract the oil. The intensity of the vacuum is more related )by far) to the speed of extraction than to the completeness.

The vacuum gauge at about the 30 second mark shows a bit greater than -0.4 Not sure what the units are though.

Forward to 6:14 in this video and he shows the adapter used for vehicles that don't have a drain plug and says there is no need for a wand for those.

The vehicles without drain plugs that don't need a wand inserted must have dipstick tubes that go down almost all the way to the bottom of the pan.

If I had to I'd be inclined to tilt the vehicle to get oil to the dipstick tube as best I can, as I do for the mower and generator (using a suction pump), but all my vehicles have an oil pan drain plug.

A vehicle dipstick generally doesn't not hit bottom of the oil pan. I've seen vehicles where no oil touched the bottom of the stick yet there was still some oil in the pan. I would think the the dipstick tube would not need to go to the bottom of the oil pan. Wait, I changed the metal tube on the truck transmission and it didn't go in down to the bottom of the pan.
If I had to use my suction pump I would rather run a somewhat flexible tube down through the metal tube and to feel hitting bottom at the pan, and still be inclined to tilt the vehicle.

The difference with a lot of marine engines is that their dipstick tube comes from a banjo bolt assembly that comes out of the drain plug hole. If you suck on that tube, you're getting the same effect as opening the drain plug.

Other marine engines do have dipstick tubes that go to the bottom of the oil pan. I've removed enough oil pans with the tube still stuck in to have witnessed this. Some, you actually have tonpush in after hearing the thunk of it hiring the bottom of the oil pan before it's seated.

Leftover crud in the oil pan is something we have rarely witnessed, even on neglected boats.

If I had to use my suction pump I would rather run a somewhat flexible tube down through the metal tube and to feel hitting bottom at the pan, and still be inclined to tilt the vehicle.

Give that man a cigar. That is exactly how the average oil extractor works.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Anyone worried about not getting all the oil out can first suck it out from the top, then go underneath and see how much more comes out the drain plug. If less than half a quart I wouldn't worry about it.

I think some people have done that on Mercedes. Sucking it out is the standard method at the dealership. People have reported that after sucking it out, they took out the drain plug and basically nothing came out so it pretty much got all the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back