AGM Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just installed a new AGM battery in my son’s pickup. Aside from being maintenance free, apparently the deep cycle versions are good for service in RV’s because they can be drawn down by 80% vs the recommended max of 50% with conventional lead-acid batteries. They are more expensive, starting at $160 US dollars at Canadian Tire in Canada. How are AGM batteries holding up for you folks?

SF

Very poor longevity with Optima red-top in my cars.
They wouldn't die enough to cause a no-start; they'd die enough to make electronics flaky, and burn an alternator.
Low voltage, but not low enough current that I couldn't start.

I've gone with X2Power from Batteries Plus. We'll see how that does. Same size battery; weighs a heck of a lot more.

i love them. no more mess from wet cells leaking or post corrosion. you'll want to look into an AGM specific charger.
i just retired a 17 year old red top because the load test indicated weak.

I got 60 months off my last optima red 34R.

I picked up a Bosch AGM from pepboys with the 30% off coupon. They made a group 48 AGM for my Volvo 740 which is a bigger fit. Maybe it will last longer?

Just replaced the Optima in the f150 with an everstart maxx a couple months ago. The Optima had a 2013 date sticker on it, so 4 years...not too great in my book. On the other hand, my gf has a Bosch Platinum AGM in her Corolla. About a year and a half old with no issues (to be expected).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
The vehicles people installed an AGM in, was the original battery a normal flooded cell? The alternator handles the AGM just fine?

I've never had any issues switching between AGM's and flooded cells. Back and forth.

Ditto that. I only run AGM batteries in my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: Donald
The vehicles people installed an AGM in, was the original battery a normal flooded cell? The alternator handles the AGM just fine?

I've never had any issues switching between AGM's and flooded cells. Back and forth.

Bosch's are generally problem free. When I worked there the defective ones were few and far between. Definitely sold more than we had problems with. A lot of the times the batteries were good and there was a problem with the car. Parasitic drain kills new batteries fast as well so there's not much we can do about that.

I really like Odyssey 1750 Group 65 . They are expensive, but reliable. Sears in the past had their Platinum Battery line, that was made by Odyssey Battery and was awesome. But, it was discontinued. Optima batteries were great a decade ago. But, never served me more than 3 years and died.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
We just installed a new AGM battery in my son’s pickup. Aside from being maintenance free, apparently the deep cycle versions are good for service in RV’s because they can be drawn down by 80% vs the recommended max of 50% with conventional lead-acid batteries. They are more expensive, starting at $160 US dollars at Canadian Tire in Canada. How are AGM batteries holding up for you folks?
SF

Canadian Tire sell batteries, but not quality batteries under their own name. Just to give you a comparison, my car 2017 Lexus RX350 needs Grp 24f and the Odyssey or NorthStar AGM would cost me ca$360. Canadian Tire used to give you free replacement, but you paid for labour and you'd have to exchange the battery at least once a year, all in all not a good economic investment. The thing you have to remember with AGM is that they give you no warning before they fail, it's full charge and suddenly full nothing, but they are way better than the flooded cells ones.

Last edited:
I am on my 4th Benz all Diesel and the batteries are located in trun, under floorboard, or under rear seat they all had AGM and they last 8-10 year's. My last battery was from a Sears Gold or Platinum on Sale for $90 for a group 49 last year for my CDI. In a nutshell location is key to longevity.

I dropped in an AGM in the wife's RX330. It's common for her to start/drive it once a week (short trip only), sometimes it sits for 2 weeks. It recently sat for a few weeks (she has the flu) so I decided to go out early one morning just to crank and run it and it turned over and started like it hasn't been sitting. Although the AGM battery is less than a year old. It turned over with authority

Got 10 years out of an Optima Yellow in my seldom used TR, have the Advance Auto Platinum's in most everything in my sig (after reading one too many negative reviews on newer production Optima's, I went w/ the AA's). No issues, and I find that quality AGM's do hold up much better in seasonal, irregular use.

Any true deep cycle, AGM or not, will tolerate the deep discharge mentioned by the OP.

A true Deep Cycle will not be a good starter battery, however.

AGM starter batteries claim better deep cycle ability, but I've never seen it expressed in any meaningful NUMBER, only in marketing stickers.

If someone is telling you an AGM starter battery can achieve 80% discharge, I would want to see the numbers backed up, otherwise I think they are mixing facts which produces fiction.

-m

If you notice, the people only getting 3-4 years out of a batt. are in hot climates (TX, NM).

Heat kills batteries.

Having the batt. in a location other than in the engine compartment and its associated head also really helps.

Just ordered a DEKA AGM for my Wife's 2012 Camaro.
Battery is in the trunk.
Driving to Florida the 1st of March and had the original battery so I figured it was time.

Living in Upstate New York the car is not driven in the Winter but has a Battery Tender connected all the time it is parked.

And time will tell how long it will last.

Last edited:
Almost everything now made in Mexico, including Optimas. Since the manufacturing was shipped down south the quality has gone downhill. Batteries Plus made in USA and a couple of other brands but all the parts store batteries are made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back