Lubricating vehicle door hinges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own the two vehicles in my sig and this weekend was the first time I have ever lubed the door hinges. I used CRC white lithium grease (spray can).

Do you lubricate your door hinges? If so, how frequently? And what type of grease do you find to be most effective? My wife and I plan to keep these two rigs as long as they will run, so thinking preventative maintenance here.

-Georgiey22

I’m doing mine at least twice a year and hit the driver door more often … have messed with spray plenty … but find the telescopic spout on “3 in 1” cans to be more precise … and less run off and resultant dust attraction …

Last edited:
Geez, you guys and your fancy chemicals makes me feel like I’m doing it all wrong. Old fashioned Oiler can with whatever oil is what I’ve been using. Every year or two

This is what I use...

1854051.jpg

HaHa … still doing plenty ‘thicker things” with oil cans … can’t wait for 0w16 to become cheap and fill my old ‘clicker cans’ …!

I use disposable foam brushes and whatever oil is handy- usually 0w40 or 75w-90. Get the foam saturated, soak the hinge, operate the door a few times then use the same foam brush to soak up the excess.

On GM trucks it’s all for naught anyways. The more important skill is learning to change those stupid pins before they wallow out the hole. If you don’t youll be changing those pins like you change your socks until you get smart and weld the egged one (top Upper usually) in place. What a design and the updated one is as bad as the first a couple generations ago, just easier to install.

For door and hood hinges, a few drops of SAE 30 from the oiler can every oil change. Never had a hinge fail. Don't forget the hood latch too. On plastic sliders, CRC Super Lube every once in a while.

I suppose that I will be the first to share that I use regular old WD-40 on them. I have made entire tailgates that refused to operate properly when asked to open work like new with the stuff. I use liberal overapplication and simply wipe off what was excess. Doors also open smoother. Window tracks I have not attempted.

I also shoot the key cylinders with it too including some on the key and putting the key in and turning it. Never a bad result yet.

I lubricate my door hinges twice per year and have used many different types of oils/lubricants over the years,and I also include the door gaskets using silicon, I will look for the 3in1 oil 4WD uses, the bottles look cool!
TOTO.

I like Tri-flow. It's like 3-in-1 but with the addition of PTFE (Teflon). Comes with a little straw that fits into the tip for accurate application.

On some cars you should also oil the gas flap hinge. On my old Camry I opened the flap (it was not opening easily) and it broke off into my hand. It was glued on. After retrieving it from where I had thrown it, I glued it back on the way it had been glued at the factory. It stayed in place and was there when I sold the car.

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
I suppose that I will be the first to share that I use regular old WD-40 on them. I have made entire tailgates that refused to operate properly when asked to open work like new with the stuff. I use liberal overapplication and simply wipe off what was excess. Doors also open smoother. Window tracks I have not attempted.

I also shoot the key cylinders with it too including some on the key and putting the key in and turning it. Never a bad result yet.

Well, I'm here to tell you you're not alone. WD-40 on the door hinges, hood hinges, etc. I use Lock-Ease on the keys.

Originally Posted By: Donald
On some cars you should also oil the gas flap hinge. On my old Camry I opened the flap (it was not opening easily) and it broke off into my hand. It was glued on. After retrieving it from where I had thrown it, I glued it back on the way it had been glued at the factory. It stayed in place and was there when I sold the car.

Funny you mention that. I had to do some work on my Rav4's fuel door. It wouldn't pop open properly after 325000 miles. Needed so spray in there.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: Collingwood

Well, I'm here to tell you you're not alone. WD-40 on the door hinges, hood hinges, etc. I use Lock-Ease on the keys.

Thank you, fellow man! I'm tempted to go out and do it on my car now. I also like how WD-40 has the large can with the flexible metal dispenser tube.

I may even do it to my ignition key cylinder.

I have used PB Blaster . Seemed to work better & stayed put longer than WD40 . Maybe ever year or two .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back