One Filter, One OCI....Or, Use It Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone here that knows me know that I don't approve of using the same oil filter currently being used, to be used for more than 1 OCI. BUT, I might be getting soft......but for a good cause, I think.
My son, BITOG member CajunLariat, owns a 1996 Corolla DX, 1.8 engine, 250K miles. Awhile back my ASE certified tech friend did some work on his car; new water pump, t-stat, hoses, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, crank seal, vc gasket, spark plug tube seals, outer belts, belt tension pulleys, pcv valve, and a few other misc. items. The car is now back to getting great gas mileage again (+/-32 HWY. +/-25 CITY). It went from using a qt. of oil every 700-800 miles to a qt. about every 1300 miles.
He is currently using 10W30 Mobil Super 1300 oil with a PL14477 filter. My cousin went to a yard sale this past Saturday and bought a box of misc. BOSCH PREMIUM oil filters for $2.00. Among them were (3)-3311 oil filters that fit the Corolla. I don't know anything about BOSCH oil filters. Can these filters be used for more than 1 OCI (Or, should they be used once), and at how many miles, 3K, 5K, 7.5K....????? BTW, he is only putting about 2K- 3K miles on the car per year.
He had me type this due to my experience in this area, asking about this.

If he's only putting 2-3k a year, I would only use that bosch for the same interval.

There is a risk of the media having tears. I would cut one open to have a look before using the other two. Although the one you open could be fine and the other two could have the possibility of having the Purolator tears.

Last edited:
BOSCH PREMIUM I've used them they are just fine as good or better than a Wix or a Supertech. I have one of them left to get rid of. I may give it to my Step son for his wife's Toyota!

If it were a FRAM Ultra, WIX XP, or similar I would not hesitate to run it for 2 OCI's for up to the recommended limit from the filter maker. I would not run any OCI with a Purolator...

Well, you fine members know that I like paying it forward (THANKS 2015_PSD). Would you give them to an unfortunate person that can't afford an OCI, or should we use them to shoot at with our AR-15's? I "MIGHT" suggest to Robert to buy a FU, M1, WIX XP, etc. and run it for multiple OCI's (SERIOUSLY? Did I just type that?).
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Are you really trying to save $5? What about the dirty oil in the filter?

No Donald, I ALWAYS encourage my son to change his filter at EVERY OCI. And, you're correct, what was I thinking? I will convince him to use these filters for (1) OCI per each filter.
Thanks for bringing us back down to reality!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

No Donald, I ALWAYS encourage my son to change his filter at EVERY OCI. And, you're correct, what was I thinking? I will convince him to use these filters for (1) OCI per each filter.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

As cheap as oil filters are, why leave several oz of old oil in the engine when it can be removed with a new filter?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

As cheap as oil filters are, why leave several oz of old oil in the engine when it can be removed with a new filter?

Especially with DI and fuel dilution problems.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Somebody contact the mods! BOF's account has been hi-jacked!
laugh.gif

You aint right! I'm just waiting on your partner in crime to chime in (Z06).
grin.gif

Hey, did you receive your package yet?

Personally I would check the date codes and if old consider the $2 hobby money or something and throw them all out. That version for the corolla may be be fine, I used to use them. Of course one filter each time and per year, no question about that. After all that money spent fixing it, why not give it a brand new store filter, a Toyota even.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd use 'em for a 5k OCI.

Or mail the whole box to car51 and let him do a cut-n-post-o-rama!

My cousin will be using the filters that fit his Navi, Silverado, and F150. The rest, he will donate. They are all BOSCH filters that were deleted from the shelves at WM.

Without knowing the age of those filters - where they've been kept - plus the fact they are Purolators. I would have passed and not even offered my $2.

I never do multiple OCI'S on a filter unless it can be verified that there is no FD issue, and the exact same oil is being used.

If those two are not a factor, I would not hesitate to do so on a quality filter.

As for those Bosch premiums, forget about shooting them with a gun. Screw them onto the end of a gun, instead. (Check your local laws first). Oil filter silencers are fun (as long as you are not breaking the law).

There were some discussions in the past touting the benefits of the additional residual oil. Dave, where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back